Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'09 Polaris 550 XP or '09 Grizzly 700 FI Auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Polaris 550 XP or '09 Grizzly 700 FI Auto

I'm needing some feed back on these 2 atvs. I realize I'm trying to decide between two totally different class atv's. One being a 550 that weighs 730lbs and the other being a 700 class atv that weighs around 600lbs. Basically it comes down the following I want a dependable atv as this will be the last atv I will purchase for some time. I have owned to 04.5 500 HO & a '06 500 EFI Sportsman. Loved everything about them except the weight and they were both top heavy and had excessive body roll. I have heard the 550 XP is not so top heavy & steers better. It also won the shootout in atv magazine recently. I don't know anyone that has a Grizzly so I don't know anything about their dependability record? or if they have excessive body roll.

Okay here are the two models I am looking at along with their features & prices:

2009 Polaris Sportsman 550 EFI XP Browning LE-Non Power steering ($7094) Abernathycycle
Hand warmers
Thumb warmer
Winch
Work lights
Gun scabbard
Rear rack extender
Mossy Oak® camo bodywork
14 in. Mossy Oak® camo wheels
1500 lb towing capacity

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI Auto Ducks Unlimited Edition-Power steering($7594) Abernathy
Camo
Power Steering
No winch
1322 lb towing capacity

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:28 PM
DCT
Banned

Yamaha's are notorious for their excellent reliability. I have ridden a 550 Griz with EPS, and it is a nice quad. The 700 should be even better.

The 550 XP seems to be doing very well quality wise. If it's anything like the 850 I have ridden, it will ride better than the Grizz, and still feel pretty nimble. However, there will be some tight spots that XP will have more trouble than the Grizz.

You need to consider your riding preferences.

If you could take them for a ride, that might help.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:48 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Compare the 850. The decision will be easy.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by weedy
Compare the 850. The decision will be easy.

That's all it took for me! I rode the Grizz 700 and came pretty close to buying one......Then I took one last run over to the Polaris dealer and they just happen to have a new XP850. The dealer let me take it out for a quick rip; I was hooked within about 30 seconds. It's that much better than the Yamaha.....blows the Grizz away. I spent a fair bit of time on the Yamaha and it's a nice rig, but doesn't compare IMO. It seems a lot more top heavy and less stable....no punch like the XP. Yes, it's lighter, but it just doesn't have the rock solid feel. The Polaris might be a bit heavy for some folks, but it rides like a (new) Cadillac. The Grizz is more thumpy, being a single cylinder and the Yamahas also have super nice build quality and overall finish (Japan), but so does my XP (USA). Everything is nicely put together. The XP is so damn smooth and wicked fast. It just keeps accelerating beyond the point of need. Thinking about it, that's one of the things I like the most.....it's how stable and smooth it is. A huge smile on your face is easily had with these machines. I have had zero problems with it and wouldn't trade it for any other ATV. -Throw an extra 2K in the pot and you'll be one happy dude. No, I don't work for Polaris

Although I say all this and Idon't know what kind of rider you are, how old you are or what you primarily use your bikes for....LOL Doesn't matter though. If you're seriously looking at a Gizz 700, then the XP850 IS for you.

One other thing I'd add, is get the power steering (EPS), it's a really nice addition.

I'll get off the Polaris stage now.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DCT
However, there will be some tight spots that XP will have more trouble than the Grizz.
I bushwhack with my 850 through the woods weaving in and out of trees and over smaller ones without any problems. The fact that you can't get around a couple of trees, out of the thousands you cross is no criteria from choosing a machine.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:03 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by FunRide
I bushwhack with my 850 through the woods weaving in and out of trees and over smaller ones without any problems. The fact that you can't get around a couple of trees, out of the thousands you cross is no criteria from choosing a machine.
Good for you.

For me, it's not an issue... for some folks it is criteria... depends on where you ride, and how you like to ride.

Folks should have all the facts and know ALL the criteria... and then come to their own conclusions.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yamaha is no doubt a nice bike and the powersteering is nice i hear as well at slower speeds but is less at higher speeds. the weight is always been an issue w/ polaris bikes, but this is why to me they ride so nice even though i havent rode a new xp yet? your best bet is to try them both out your self and compare. you cant go wrong w/ your own seat of the pants experience. imo

Old 04-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same dilemma back in january. I test drove all of the utility quads. I grew up on yamaha's but as soon a I drove the xp I had to have it. Get the eps though its worth the extra money.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DCT
Good for you
Yeah, it is good for me.....And it's good for anybody else looking to buy one, to have a real opinion from somebody that rides it in the tight trees (Vermont and Maine off trail). Again, information and "facts" provided from somebody that owns one. If you wish to get between every single tree pair without ever having to slow down or re-align yourself, one should not be looking at any big-bore (larger) ATV.....but hey, that just my opinion DCT. You have yours.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
DCT
Banned

LOL... the "ignore feature" works great on this site. All you see is a blank post.

Quick Reply: '09 Polaris 550 XP or '09 Grizzly 700 FI Auto