Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear cargo boxes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear cargo boxes

Here is another dumb question but before I over react and spend more money on a different cargo box I would like to get some other opinions. I have the rigid Polaris lock&ride rear box which is rather large and actually extrudes slightly beyond the rear rack extenders. I was riding over the weekend and a tree angled across the trail hooked the box. No damage was done and it did not rip it off the rack but I can see that situation is definitely possible. I ride in New England and on tight trails a fair amount of time. So I am thinking that either a soft bag or one like Montana Jacks which is narrower maybe a better fit.

Have any of you found a large cargo box to be a problem? What has worked well as an alternative?

- brian

Old 04-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

I've not had any issues with my hard cargo box but I have seen a lot of dissapointed people with the soft bags after going thru the mud. The softies I've seen leak or if they don't leak when they are covered with mud and you have to open them, mud and junk get inside. Also, very hard to clean vs. the hard plastic cargo box.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Ruggo, if you decide to sell your rigid cargo box I'd be interested in it.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Another point of view, I believe if you flip your Quad the rear box saves you from sliding off the back end and to be rear-to-bottom ended on a roll and its hard casing saves the rear from most damage. I learned this personally shame to say about 3 1/2 weeks ago. -- Still healing!

R'

Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Another point of view, I believe if you flip your Quad the rear box saves you from sliding off the back end and to be rear-to-bottom ended on a roll and its hard casing saves the rear from most damage. I learned this personally shame to say about 3 1/2 weeks ago. -- Still healing!

R'
R..stuff happens man...nothing to be ashamed of IMO...we don't buy them to ride in a controlled enviroment..I ride fully expecting the possiblity of getting into trouble....we all should...if you can type a post you must have did something right...machines can be replaced.
Anyway,along the same lines my Tamarack rack mounted seat box stopped my machine from rolling on it's lid recently..and likely saved me way more money that the box cost. I was amazed the lock and ride anchors held,not to mention the box. I bailed off and I actually watched it roll up on the box then fall back on it's side..no damage other than some deep scratches on the box and a small dent to the box that I popped out. I have no doubt it would have went over on without the box,likely damageing the handle bars,winch remote and possible the pod ect..not to mention it would have been alot harder to right lol.
With that said if you ride tight trails catching the high squared off box on a limb or the like could be a problem..luckily the seat style boxes are rounded at the sides..but of course they don't have near the capacity of the Polaris rear box for the XP.
Bottom line you need to get what works for you..I don't have a problem with soft bags..I use them..just depends what I am doing..I don't ride alot of mud(at least not any that is going to get above the rack)..but I do make sure I waterproof things I don't want to get wet..just in case. And they take a little more work than the lock and ride stuff to keep them in place in rough terrain..but it's better than having to remove the box to make it past an obstacle or risk getting a box ripped off if that is a possibility where you ride.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

Just sharing an experience. I have a Hawkeye with the Polaris hard box. The second or third time my 12 yr old son rode it, he rolled it on a small dirt pile he saw me go over. It was less than a pickup load of dirt piled in back yard, less than 30 inches high and very narrrow. When he went over it, he went the narrow way and it rolled on him. Although he is big for a 12 yr old, 160+ big frame kid, he was able to crawl out from under it. Besides some marks on his helment, he was fine. I believe the box saved him. Overall it has given him a tremendous respect for quads. He prefers to ride his small kid quad and when he rides mine, it is slow and cautious.