Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Adding a quad for the wife...help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2001, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with the Kodiak. The 325 is way, way, too heavy. The Rancher seems to be plagued with recalls, and the electric shift is a joke. On another note, I have ridden an Explorer 250, it was fast along with a plush ride. It is a two stroke though.

Old 02-16-2001, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer

I would reccomend the Rancher. I do not like the recalls, but at least Honda is admitting that there might be a problem. I have yet to hear about anyone having problems with either recall.

I have heard about water pump problems and choke cable problems on the Kodiak. Yamaha made changes to the water pump for 2001, but did not issue a recall to fix the 2000 model.

I have a Rancher and my Dad has a Kodiak. I have ridden them both on different types of terrain. I prefer the Rancher and not just because I am a Honda fan. The Rancher is more stable on the trail and is just more fun to ride. Nothing against the Kodiak but I would buy the Rancher. If you do not think that the electric shift will be reliable just remember that the 2/4 wd button on the Yamaha is an electric shift. I would buy the Rancher, but I would reccomend riding them both and choosing the one that fits best.

Old 02-16-2001, 08:04 PM
BK
Pro Rider

Take a good look at the Explorer 250. My brother got his for $4200 + tax. It has good power and ride (once it breaks in, it felt stiff at first). The 4X4 works great even with the stock tires. When you hit the rough stuff you just put it in low and crawl through almost anything.

Old 02-16-2001, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

My vote is for the Rancher, it is the number one mid size utility quad for a reason. It steers easy, handles great, and has great power for a mid size. It is sized right for a mid sized machine. I feel that is some manufacturers "big" mistake, dropping a smaller engine in a frame designed for a 500cc engine. Honda and Yamaha tend to do a better job of making the quad work as a package. Plus the Rancher is reliable. There has only been one recall on the Ranchers, for the a-arms. I've been on this forum for a while, and only one person to my knowledge has had a problem with the a-arm welds, out of hundreds. I just got a product up date notice for the shifter plate. But hear again, I haven't seen any posts that indicate this is much of a problem either. I have had mine for a year, and am rough on it. I've had zero problems. Honda has done the right thing, they have adressed potential problems before most owners have even had a problem. How many other companys would do that? I would go with the Rancher, or possibly the Kodiak. IMO no other manufacturer makes a mid size quad better than the Rancher. Especially one of those over weight, under powered Full sized machines with a mid sized motor. As a final note, any Rancher that you buy now shouldn't be affected by the a-arm recall, and may already have the updated shift plate. Good Luck!

Old 02-16-2001, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

You can buy a 401cc liguid cooled ,selectable 4wd,low range tranny with disk brake Kodiak for less than a 339cc air cooled ,full time 4wd,drum brake,5 speed Rancher? You know what to do ,now go do it!

Old 02-18-2001, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer

Hiya

I agree with Bk look or try and ride the xplorer250 and the magnum325 Power wise i think the xplorer takes victory there or speed rather.. Both are very stable quads

cya
Ron

Old 02-18-2001, 12:25 PM
Range Rover

Get the Kodiac she'll love it.Its auto trans, disc brakes,kicks in and out of four wheel drive,and lite weight.The only problem I find with the autos is going off extremely steep hills,you have to learn how to use a lot off brake.

Old 02-18-2001, 02:24 PM
Range Rover

Go with the wolverine .there light lower than a scrambler and super reliable.
As long as your missus doesnt mind changing gear .
If not its the scrambler which is taller and heavier.If your not concerned too much about power the Suzuki 300 king quad will go everywhere a sportsman will except a couple of miles behind you but there low light and the easiest 4x4 too handle and have so many rider options 2t4 hi/lo and difflock.
Hope this helps.
Matt
2000 500 Scrambler pulled by Z71

Old 02-18-2001, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

I'd ride it out till Mar 15.

Supposedly Yamaha has a program coming out then.

May just be a fall order program, but...

Old 02-18-2001, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info DieselPro. We wont have a problem waiting until the 15th, if it can save me a few more dollars whats an extra week or two. The new quad wont get more than once a month use unless I find it more fun than my Scrambler (dont think that will happen). As far as the Suzuki goes I have a riding buddy that has the 250 version, quad runner, king quad, which ever and I help with alot of his maintenence and the thing is ruff to work on. Plastic removal is a never ending process maybe the new models arent like that though, his is approx 4 years old. My wife keeps telling me to give her mine and go get a new one for me but I would still get a SC 500. I cant see having the same 2 quads. Thanks for all of the responses.

Quick Reply: Adding a quad for the wife...help