Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Adding a quad for the wife...help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2001, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a new quad for the misses and we are stuck on three models. I have talked with a few dealers that I have dealt with in the past and got some early prices and info. Im hoping that you can help out with some extra info. I dont know anyone with any of the 3 choices left and any info would be great.
2000 325 Magnum 4x4 (new) 4895, that price is pretty firm I might get a few dollars more but not much.
2001 400 Kodiak 5099, there is room to work with price on this one.
2001 350 Rancher 4x4 ES 5399, My dealer told me he didnt want to talk dollars until I was ready to buy. I think the price is right from the Honda book so that leaves alot of room.

As you can see we are going Auto or at least the ES for the Honda. I want a few more C.C.s so I can get some utility work out of the quad. Im a little concerned about the overall size of the Magnum. If Im missing anything that you may think falls into our catagories please let me know. I know I may get a few more posts towards the Polaris but I think most Polaris riders are not as biased and a bit more open, at least this forum seems that way. I have noticed that alot of the people here have a couple quads so please...a little help.

Old 02-16-2001, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Im kind of in the same boat. I'm selling the KQ for a bigger machine. I am strongly considering the Kodiak, BUT the SP has me so spoiled! I just don't want 2 of a kind. I wish Yamaha would redo the grizz as a liquid and IRS!

Old 02-16-2001, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Ever concider the 400 Sportsman? She will love ya for the ride. You should be able to pick one up for less than $6000. It is probably going to last her a long time.
My wife had a 500 Magnum, which rides pretty smooth compared to most, but after I rode it for 1/2 a day on the Paiute trail we got her a 500 Sportsman HO.

Old 02-16-2001, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Just an added thought. I can't figure out why a dealer wouldn't talk dollars before you were "ready to buy". Sometimes price is the deciding factor to get a customer to come back or buy on the spot. Hope there isn't any hidden extra costs that will pop up at closing time.
I have been able to put guys on a higher priced model because we don't have that extra added B.S.

Old 02-16-2001, 11:34 AM
Range Rover

Chopper,
They sure do it. I recall one dealer in particular that really ticked me off.

They didn't have a price on the quad, like I didn't know the MSRP before I got there. Anyway, I mentioned that the quad was "probably" out of my budget. So the salesman asks, "what if I can get it within your budget"?

Sounded good to me, so I asked how much we were talking. His reply, "Come talk to me when your're serious about buying it. I'll even let you take it for a spin then."

Well, I guess the empty utility trailer on the back of my car, and the literature in my hand about the quad weren't serious clues??????

Needless to say, I ended up 20 miles across town at another dealer. Within 45 minutes at this place, I had test driven three quads been, been fitted for a helmet (I have a big head), and I had two buyer's orders in my hands so I could sleep on the numbers.

I mean, in the real world we know these guys gotta make a profit, so let's please both parties. I tell hey, you wanna make money and I want a quad let's find a happy medium. Words like "firm" don't impress me, in fact they are a turnoff. If you're "firm" on the price of the quad, you gotta be loose somewhere else in the deal. Free helmet, no setup (what a joke), some free oil, something.

Oh yeah, this post was about a quad for Scram's wife......lol. Personnally, I like the Sportsman, but In kow some guys that swear by Ranchers but they use them like work horses and ride something else for play. Go figure? Ultimately COMFORT and usability are key, at least for me.

Just wondering of the ones you mentioned Scram, which does you wife like the best?

Old 02-16-2001, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello,

Im not sure about the kodiak or the Honda, but i can tell you about the Magnum.

Mine has a smooth ride, great suspension. My wife took it for a ride and she LOVES it! It was a bit hard for her to steer at first (She's about 5'2) but after about an hour she got the hang of it, and its no problem. Top speed is about 40Mph, fast enough to have fun, but not a speed demon. The 4wd is great, it goes anywhere, through anything.

Check out my site below if you want to see some pictures of it.

Old 02-16-2001, 01:13 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Xploer 400? The performance is really incredible. Or Xplorer 250?

Old 02-16-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the feedback so far. I like the Wolverine but I thought the ease of Auto tranny might make riding more enjoyable for her. I never really thought of the Xplorer, might have to look into that.

Old 02-16-2001, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

If yours only goes 40 then you have a little problem. 40 is the cruising speed on mine, I have clocked mine around 50-55, and that's not all the way yet. You might think I am full of it but this is the truth.

Old 02-16-2001, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

you said the one reason you didn't like the wolverine was that it was not Auto or ES. Cycle Country makes an elctric shift kit that you can put on manual quads. Check them out here,http://www.cyclecountry.com/. I have never used an atv equipped with this or herd anything about them just remembered seeing the ad once. You might want to ask around and see if anyone has used this kit before.

Quick Reply: Adding a quad for the wife...help