Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris sportsman 600 twin loses power & cuts out after a few minutes

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok its going to be good weather tomarrow so I will pull it off and check. I will let you know what i find. Thanks trooperk

Old 05-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I checked the intake manifold and it was good no cracks. But I found that the boot the connects the airbox to the carb is cracked and dry rotted underneth where it conncets to the carb. So this must be the problem so your deff right about that. I really apprrciate the help I never would of guessed that. Do you know if they sell just that boot or do I have to buy the whole thing(airbox with boot attached). thanks again!

Old 10-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

im having the same problem and i can't figure it out any ideas did you fix this problem??

Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Could be the battery load test it! Then check volts at the battery with a good volt meter should be around 14 volts running.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

new battery and i tested the load and its all set im going to replace the fuel filter and a new air filter and clean the carb up and if i still have a problem i have no clue any ideas of the best way to clean the carb on it??

Old 03-29-2016, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2004 polaris 700 efi loses power

I have a 2004 polaris sportsman 700 efi. It seams like when its colder it will run longer and when its warmer it acts up sooner. After a few minutes of driving the atv it will lose power and backfire when you press the gas. If you just barley give it gas it will go but still won't take gas normally. If you let it idol for a min or so it is fine but will do it all over again if you ride it for about ten min . The fuel pressure is 41 and doesnt drop. I change the boot from the motor to the throttle boddy. I even took off the gas cap going down the trail to see if it was vapor lock, nope. The only other thing I noticed was the plastic nut holding the key swicth was loose and moving around when I tried to start it, So I tightened the plastic nut firmly so it would not spin when you turn the key to start it. Would there be something with that? appreciated, thank You.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Back firing,running bad is usually a short in the TBAP harness or connector. Read the "sticky" post in the expert section on 700 efi problems. Applies to all efi machines. Thin wiring can rub and have bare wires,wires can melt internally or pins can pull back from the connectors. Codes 41,45,46 are most common if codes show up,but many times codes don't.Polaris kits were junk and in the sticky post it refers to this company that makes better harness repair kits than Polaris does. "4 pin Tbap Harness" Only The Best One other place to check is the crank position sensor wiring that runs under the throttle body. It can rub against the starter and cause intermittent problems if you have a bare wire touching the engine. Best to zip tie this harness up from the engine anyway.

Attached Thumbnails polaris sportsman 600 twin loses power & cuts out after a few minutes-connector.jpg