Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

No 2 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No 2 wheel drive

I'm new to the forum and have tried searching on this topic. I have a 08 500 touring model with just over 50hrs on it the only abuse I seem to have done is drive more or less in high range. I drove it out of the back of my truck on a ramp and it seemed like I ran over something because it slowed down like it was winding up. I put it in reverse thinking I ran over something and then went back in forward and had no forward gears or reverse from that moment. I can engage the 4X4 and it drive the front tires only and when engaged into park it will still roll.I ordered a repair manual and look to tear down the belt housing to check this area i for starters if it looks it progresses into the tranny my owners manual say the tranny is warrantied for 1 yr if anyone has had a similar problem did the dealer fix it under warranty?

Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Did you notice if the rear driveshaft is turning at all? How about in "turf mode", nothing?
My way of finding a problem is start from the farthest point and work back. If the rear drive shaft is turning, the problem would be in the tranny, if it's not turning I'd check the U joints, try to move the driveshaft in and out to see if it slipped out of the yoke, try and spin the driveshaft by hand while the quad is in gear (it should not spin) and check the belt but that doesn't seem like it would be the problem if you have the front working in 4x4.

Last edited by reno82; 05-28-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: two posts
Old 05-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by reno82
Did you notice if the rear driveshaft is turning at all? How about in "turf mode", nothing?
My way of finding a problem is start from the farthest point and work back. If the rear drive shaft is turning, the problem would be in the tranny, if it's not turning I'd check the U joints, try to move the driveshaft in and out to see if it slipped out of the yoke, try and spin the driveshaft by hand while the quad is in gear (it should not spin) and check the belt but that doesn't seem like it would be the problem if you have the front working in 4x4.

I remove the belt housing today and the belt is fine it is spinning the rear pulley drive just fine. My turf mode solenoid does engage and disengage only in terms of clicking on & off it doesn't change the problem. The rear axles are not turning at all and are seated in the tranny. Not sure if I should hear anything when engaging 4x4 like solenoid action but I don't hear anything but seams to be working since it drives the front tires when engaged. So basically same issue I have no park, no drive in 2 wheel drive mode and in 4X4 the only engagement is in the front axles.

Question in my owners manual there is mention of a 1yr warranty on a final drive chain?? Is there something like this in the tranny? When this happened it felt like a rubber band winding up tighter and tighter and slowed my forward momentum, I was just barley moveing forward in my yard when this happened nothing snapedI just stopped and found this problem surfaced after that. Anyway I thought after reading about a final drive chain maybe there is a connection.