Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 scrammy 500 clutch spring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 scrammy 500 clutch spring question

i have a silver primary spring and a silver secondary spring in the 2-2 position. i do trail riding and mudding as well and im looking for more bottom end and want this thing to liven up a lil.For weights i have 10 wh i think. what springs can i run to help lower and help in the power situation without having to spend money on a clutch kit

Old 05-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search for ritter cycle racing and call rick ritter up... he can get you setup with the correct spring for what you want to do

Old 05-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Go with either a Polaris white primary spring with stock weights or go with a Dalton blk/white spring.May need to go with 10MB weights with that one.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the advice again this place rocks for anything polaris. whats the dif with those weights? a lil heavier for the stiffer spring? these answer will save me lots of moula

Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

YEs the 10MB is a 49 gram where the 10WH is 46.This just keeps the top rpm in a safer range along with keeping the engagement rpm a little lower.If you run a 1-1 secondary setting you wont have to change the weights with the blk/white but you wont have the backkshift

Old 06-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

so way off subject and since i got you in this forum i build a go cart using a yammy 540 sled engine and a tranny out of a trail boss. everything works fine but the sencondary opens what seems to me way to easy. so when driving is pulls good when the secondary is shut but then up to speed it goes from closed to half open way to quick which make the unit bog hard due to the ratio changing to quick i guess. it must be like grabbing 3 gears at once it just cant do it. so am i right that spring in the secondary is too weak, or is it a helix prob as well being maybe to high of a ramp

Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by albertaborn
so way off subject and since i got you in this forum i build a go cart using a yammy 540 sled engine and a tranny out of a trail boss. everything works fine but the sencondary opens what seems to me way to easy. so when driving is pulls good when the secondary is shut but then up to speed it goes from closed to half open way to quick which make the unit bog hard due to the ratio changing to quick i guess. it must be like grabbing 3 gears at once it just cant do it. so am i right that spring in the secondary is too weak, or is it a helix prob as well being maybe to high of a ramp
Try lightening up on the spring tension if that doent help find a split helex like maybe a 46-40

Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

so about the buggy i tried for the hell of it to preload 2/3 instead of 1/3 and it seems to be alot better.at least it doesnt bog right out.it does take alot to spool up to speed though which is no surprise.another random question bf i did all this i changed out the buttons cause the were hooped. i had checked them about a month ago but werent that bad,at that time i preloaded 1/3 and set the spring at the tighest and drove maybe 5 hrs and now there no good so what is the killer of buttons other than dirt?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Quad Patrol

what spring are you running in the buggy

Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

in the buggy its a red secondary spring i think the whole clutch is out of a trailboss 250 or something since over preloading the clutch it has helped alot i was just hoping to keep it a a lower ratio a lil longer but to shift slower and open slowly but now im worried im just gonna wear out the button its not perfect yet but its getting better part of me thinks the ramp is to steep but i can spring it where it should be id be happy

Quick Reply: 2003 scrammy 500 clutch spring question