Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailblazer for 10 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 15 and have been riding since I was 4.I started on a Atc70 then went to a trx70.I have stepped my way up to a fully moded 86 trx250r.I know that i would no let a 10 year old just starting out ride a 400 pound qaud.I have wrecked many times and luckily never been seriously injured but I have seen people get taken away in ambulances from qaud wrecks.and I would hate to see a 10 year old girl injured or even killed from riding 2 big of a qaud.When I was 10 I had a moto 4 80(now called a badger)My little sister is 12 and when she was 11 my dad let her ride the 300ex and she went flying down the road nd hit a gaurd rail.All because it was 2 much qaud for her.She has never been hurt and thinks she is a "awesome rider".I have been riding for 11 years and still learn something everytime I go ride.And when I get a new qaud I will be taking a safety course.

I would start out on an LT80 if I did it again.I had one and the guy we sold it to came over about a year ago and siad his son still rides it.Lt's are fast enough to keep it exciting,handle decent and keep the rider thinking of the trail rather than what gear they are in.

I have rode jviper85's trail blazer and think it is way to big for a 10 year old girl!

moded out 86 trx250r
97 300ex
90 blaster

Old 02-24-2001, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I started out on a Polaris 400 liquid cooled 2 stroke when I was 12 had never really ever driven a quad before this I have only rolled it once and that was because of a low tire when i was cutting a nut the rim hit the ground and it rolled over. I drive fast and havent had any accidents other than the roll over. I never got hurt because i got thrown off into a mud puddle(better than the frozen dirt i guess)i learned very quick though because we put on over 500 miles on in the first week and 2550 over the summer. If she starts out riding on easy terrain and gets a good feel for it i think that she will be fine with a TB but that is just my opinion

Old 02-24-2001, 05:50 PM
Range Rover

Well, I think I agree with Holyman the most on this topic. I think you need to decide how much quad your child can handle, and teach them respect for them. Like has been mentioned in here, I think it also depends on how big the child is. I know myself, I was a very big kid. I mean at age 13 I was about 6 feet tall, and weighed around 200lbs. It wasn't all fat either. However, today, as I look at all of the kid machines, I wonder if I would have even fit on one of the machines comfortablly, and then if the machine would have had enough power to keep me amused with it. I also think another thing to consider is this: what is so different about you driving a Sportsman? How many of you honestly could get a Sportsman off of you? You'd probably need help. But, you still ride the Sportsman knowing this, so why is it so bad to worry about your child riding a machine they probably couldn't get off of them? What I think you should do(I know this will sound stupid), is consider what you own that moves. Did your child own a Power Wheels? Do you own a riding lawn mower?etc. Then consider how she handled/handles those. Did she or does she drive them responsibly? Do you feel your saftey is threatened when she is/or was on them? I mean, if you doubt or wonder about her abilities, you should get her on a smaller machine. How does your daughter do in school? You could always use her grades to decide how often she can ride. I don't know how your dealer is, but if they don't care if your daughter rides the machine(some are very, very strict in this category), it might be worth inquiring if the speed limiter from one of the MINI quads would work on the trailblazer. If they say no, you might want to ask people you know if they know of anything, or visit a golfcart dealer and ask if they'd know(all newer golfcarts have ground speed governours on them). Also, relating to this subject, I don't think it is right that Polaris dictates what machine can be ridden strictly by age. I wish instead, they made your child take a saftey test similar to what you have to take to get a hunter's saftey certificate. The test should include book work and actual driving. Then, based on your child's combined scores, decide what machines are appropriate for your child. Sorry for the long wind, but I feel this is a extremely important subject.