Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler help! my fault? (PLEASE)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scrambler help! my fault? (PLEASE)

Have an 04 scrambler 500. Took apart primary and changed spring (polaris white) and reset the secondary to a 2-2 setting and replaced all three buttons. All back together and now its screwed. It idles and drives but under load it smokes and smells of burning clutch and wont budge. Im wondering if I preloaded the secondary wrong? What else could this be? Worked great before. The secondary- when I changed the setting I set it on the bench, put spring in, and twisted the "helix?" 1/3 turn counterclockwise until it would line up and slid it down into position. Is it possible to add too much? springs in backwards? Ideas?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

Question. Getting different info? Found old post from old polaris tech saying

"On secondary clutch use a brass or deadblow hammer to knock helix(center of clutch) down to allow room to get to remove circlip. As you pull up on helix the clutch will unwind! Dont be alarmed! remove helix and spring and you will note the 3 positions in helix and inner clutch sheath. If ramp buttons are worn,edged over,REPLACE,just screw in and out. Install new spring in helix 2nd position and hold while lowering into shaft to install bottom of spring into sheath 2nd position.NOTE: helix and shaft have a wider spline that line up! After lining up and spring in place lightly push down on helix and hold upper sheath,TURN bottom sheath COUNTER clockwise 1/3 of a turn and while holding BOTH sheaths,push or knock down helix(Helix will stay in place ,JUST hold sheaths from slipping and either have someone replace circlip OR you can use a pair of c-clamp vise grips to hold both sheats while you install circlip.When you let go,sheath should spring back! And also bottom sheath should turn and spring back as you hold upper sheath. Hope this helps OPT

He appears to be telling me to wind the lower side of the secondary counter clockwise and not the helix. A different posts tells me to wind the helix counter clockwise. Which is it? I twisted the helix counterclockwise and the lower section clockwise. Which is right?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

Ok. Searched several sites and posts. I need clutch 101 for "the slow" Clutch has 2 discs (top and bottom) a helix, spring and c clip. From what I understand...
Facing upward on bench. I want to install spring (2-2) location, set helix over spline so that it has no tension on spring. I then turn lower disc clockwise and top disc counterclockwise until the splines on helix align with the inner shaft. I then push down on helix and replace clip. (right?) What does this do? Is this suppose to add tension to my spring? Once I did this I noticed tension while rotating the disc seperatly in one direction and it stopped (no tension) the other way. I really want to ride my quad. I put it all together and ran it without the clutch cover. It throws the belt under load.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Try Gen 3 Usa forums... see you there...

Old 06-25-2009, 06:01 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you preloaded the secondary the wrong direction

Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hear your frustration... both methods are doing the same thing use whichever method you like best. Go to polarisman.com he use to have a detailed explanition with photos of the driven clutch. it is for a showmoblie but the concept is the same, the clutches are almost identical.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I gave you the wrong web site... try this one Silvercliff.com/Bigsnow
Tech Pages go page 2 look under tech section. look for secondary clutch rebuild. this should solve your problem.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PUSHNF8
Question. Getting different info? Found old post from old polaris tech saying

"On secondary clutch use a brass or deadblow hammer to knock helix(center of clutch) down to allow room to get to remove circlip. As you pull up on helix the clutch will unwind! Dont be alarmed! remove helix and spring and you will note the 3 positions in helix and inner clutch sheath. If ramp buttons are worn,edged over,REPLACE,just screw in and out. Install new spring in helix 2nd position and hold while lowering into shaft to install bottom of spring into sheath 2nd position.NOTE: helix and shaft have a wider spline that line up! After lining up and spring in place lightly push down on helix and hold upper sheath,TURN bottom sheath COUNTER clockwise 1/3 of a turn and while holding BOTH sheaths,push or knock down helix(Helix will stay in place ,JUST hold sheaths from slipping and either have someone replace circlip OR you can use a pair of c-clamp vise grips to hold both sheats while you install circlip.When you let go,sheath should spring back! And also bottom sheath should turn and spring back as you hold upper sheath. Hope this helps OPT

He appears to be telling me to wind the lower side of the secondary counter clockwise and not the helix. A different posts tells me to wind the helix counter clockwise. Which is it? I twisted the helix counterclockwise and the lower section clockwise. Which is right?
YES,just hold the helix and upper sheath stationary and turn bottom sheath COUNTERCLOCKWISE about 1/3 rd turn,then just hold BOTH sheaths to keep from slipping and knock helix down, install circlip. Once you do it its easy to remember! Good luck OPT

Old 06-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

When I tried this the helix is splined and once on the shaft the lower sheath and helix turn together. I cannot rotate the bottom sheath and hold helix in position. They turn together. The upper sheath (between the helix and lower sheath) will rotate. What am I missing? This is ridiculous. I wont bring this to the dealer. Im obviously missing something. Seems so simple yet Im about ready to trash this damn thing. Everyone is saying the same thing. Line up the helix with the spring and spline, gently press down, holding helix and upper sheath rotate lower. If there on the same spline and will only fit one way how does this work?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

Got it. Rotated top sheath clockwise and installed. Seems to be working good. Great power out of the hole, wish I could get some more from a rolling start.

Quick Reply: scrambler help! my fault? (PLEASE)