Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Belt change and wow!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt change and wow!

Howdy everyone......I smoked my belt a little bit about a month ago....not much but enough to smell that smell. I have 1300 miles on my X2 so I thought belt replacement would be wise. Removed the old belt and it was a little glazed or "soft looking" as compared to the new belt. So I cleaned the pulley drives (they looked clean), blew out dust and replaced with the new belt. When I took the X2 for the test ride I was amazed at how much more all around "zippiness" or power the new belt provided. Seems a bit faster too. I thought my X2 was just fine before the belt change. It's like a different bike and I don't think it's my imagination. Now this thought....as in a new ATV, the engine breaks in and gets "stronger", to a point. Then it seems like the belt would be the opposite and get "weaker" as the miles pile on. Would it make sense to change a belt on any new ATV once the engine is broke in?.....NoJoke

Old 07-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

That is a good question and I wouldn't mind hearing what others think about this.

Jeff

Old 07-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the way to tell is actually by comparing the 2 belts by width and lenght. as belts get worn they become a little longer as they stretch and narrow as they wear. this is the most cause of loosing perforcemance. there again when you burn the belt you have flat spots or what you saw as glazing which will also rob power and take off. the best way to think of it is having a car w/ a manual shift and taking of in 2nd gear in stead of first if this makes any sense to you. hope that helps. imo.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
the way to tell is actually by comparing the 2 belts by width and lenght. as belts get worn they become a little longer as they stretch and narrow as they wear. this is the most cause of loosing perforcemance. there again when you burn the belt you have flat spots or what you saw as glazing which will also rob power and take off. the best way to think of it is having a car w/ a manual shift and taking of in 2nd gear in stead of first if this makes any sense to you. hope that helps. imo.
I use the ten speed bike reference, simply because you can see the different diameters of the sprockets. similar to that on a pvt. IMHO Doc

Old 07-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think the belt would have much wear in the time it takes for a new engine to get broken in.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

belts dont wear out very fast w/ milage aw/ regual riding. i testd a few differnt ones inthe past w/ 600 miles comapred to a new one and there wasnt 1/16" differnce in them , but when you smoke a belt belt a few times and get them extremly hot, they tend to wear out quicker for sure. imo.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't have any flat spots on my belt but the entire drive surface of the belt is glazed and a little slippery. I should have been in low range on some stuff and my belt was probably heat stressed also.....and I've left my ATV idle for many minutes at a time with it in gear instead of neutral or park. It all has to do with that learning curve. It seems that the belt takes a lot of punishment.....even from "normal" riding. I'm just glad I changed the belt 'cause my X2 is the best it's ever been.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

after 3 years of plowing snow a few weeks ago i was up north riding and my machine seemed like it lost some power I came home and took the belt of I lost almost a 1/8" it was cracking on the inside and felt very slippery I have almost 5000 miles on the 2 stroke wheely machine (that wouldnt pull them anymore) in 3 years i didnt change the belt ever so i replaced it and it was like new again (pops major wheely's again). Im happy.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt Change

I've found using low range as often as possible greatly increases the belt life. When breaking in a new wheeler(and a lot of riding after) the only time I use hi is when I am on open/flat trails. Hang on to that old belt as a spare or pick a second one up. It will save your bacon someday!