Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2nd primary clutch broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd primary clutch broken

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on my 2001 Scrambler 500 2x4... Recently, it went from what I would call normal acceleration to needing alot of RPMs to get the quad started from a stop. The engine sounds good like it always did, it just felt like the clutch going out in a car - lots of gas & not much movement. Sometime after, I heard a clicking coming from the clutch housing... Turns out the primary clutch spring broke and the clicking was the broken spring turning/popping. Keep in mind it accelerated slowly for awhile before I could hear the broken primary clutch spring.

I thought that's fine, I'll replace the primary clutch spring and everything will be back to normal. Well, I replaced it with a used stock blue spring a dealer had taken off another Scrambler (he sold it to me for $13, much less than a new stock primary spring). I put the spring on, very easy, and the clicking stopped but it still was no different in needing alot of RPMs to take off.

Yesterday, the clicking came back and it's the primary clutch spring broken again.

I'm not looking for performance per say, I'd just like it to accelerate like a stock bike should. I guess I have some options judging from other posts I've searched for and looked through... like calling Mr. Ritter and getting a clutch kit for instance.

What's making the primary spring break? Could the secondary clutch spring be causing the slow acceleration and possibly be causing the primary spring to overwork and break? Maybe a new kevlar drive belt? As you can tell, I'm not sure how it all works but I am intent on making the fix myself, whether it's from a kit or piecemeal.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Mark

Old 07-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know about the clutch spring. That almost seems like it mightve been the problem. Your belt might be stretched so it wont engage right. Idk rly though. Im sure someone else will

Old 07-10-2009, 06:01 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the secondary apart and check the ramp buttons.REplace them and your broken primary spring.If this helps put on a new belt and you should be set.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

In addition, check the buttons on the primary to make sure they are not wore out, and giving you slop on the sides, might be the cause of the spring. Also, check the washers behind the primary sheave to see if they are bent up, might be time to replace them as well. Can't remember off hand, but I think the Poo belt is a 77 series, or you can get the DK belt for like $30