Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ADC binding up, any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ADC update

I got a call back from the shop today. It seems as though the ADC decided to eat itself as well as everything in the front differential box. The service mgr said that it was so bad that they were replacing it with a complete new front diff package. Polaris is picking up the tab on it, but I'm still trying to find out exactly why this happened. The tech that disassembled it is out till next week so I won't know exactly what failed till then.

Has anybody else heard of this happening on other 08 models.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

My 08 400HO puked the front diff, but its no got ADC.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

Any Idea as to why the front diff. crapped out?

Old 07-21-2009, 05:32 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Service mgr. in Penoray Id. thought it might be running Tracks with the AWD engaged full time. He runs tracks and advised changing diff fluid before & after track season. Said fluid goes totally black. So in changed mine and fluid was black & full of filings. Cuaght it before it died, but they changed it all on waranty.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer

When I dumped the front oil in mine after track season I noticed some discoloration but it sure wasn't black.

Well I'll hopefully find out next week from ther tech what happened. I'm concerned cause I just bought 2 more 08 700 x2s week before last. Hopefully, they don't take a dump also.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

We'll keep our fingers crossed. Serv Mgr said it is NOT UNCOMMON to have a front diff go.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Adc

Originally Posted by WFOIdaho
Any Idea as to why the front diff. crapped out?
i had a very similar problem with my 07 500 efi. i had to replace 3 front difs and they could not figure it out other than the ADC was engaging for some reason and then breaking **** in the front dif. they had to disconect the wires so that it would not work anymore. the ADC i mean. i dont need that crap anyways but that is how they fixed it. all warranty work as well.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

Just got my 700 X2 back.

Here's the scoop.....

The ADC and the hydrulic pump in the front diff. were completely shot. Everything else looked as if it had excessive heat issues, burnt oil and ADC clutch pack were fried. There didn't seem to be any other mech. failure according to the tech. Polaris warenteed the complete front diff as the parts to repair were more than the cost of a complete unit. The diff. that failed was sent to Polaris for inspection.

After discussing the issue with the tech. we concluded that:
1) Only use the ADC when absolutely necessary and only for short durations or excessive heat will build up and cook the oil, i.e. black oil.
2) Use the brakes on minimal decents and only use the ADC on steep slopes were control issues may arise.
3) If you do use the ADC alot then change the oil much more frequently (every 25 hours) instead of annually as the book states.
4) Use only Polaris oil. If there is a warrenty issue Polaris will only standby their oil. Any other oil and you just emptied your wallet.

The tech also mentioned that Polaris told him that they have seen problems on thier ADC units when the ADC has been used on "extended downhill grades".

So what it boils down to is; Only use the ADC when you think you could lose control on a steep grade. Otherwise smoke the brakes cause they are cheaper to replace. And dump the front diff. oil often.

and ya wonder why everyone cusses ENGINEERS!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

The hardest thing on an ADC unit is to use it on a hard surface, the front and rear gear ratios are differant and you need some tire slip to keep the front from binding. Thats why with ADC on you will come to a stop as the driveline binds.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

I am getting the ratcheting sound from my ADC too. I wonder how hard it is for me to repair myself. Any ideas? Thanks.
Just a note: Glad you are having good luck with Guy's Outdoors! I have had one problem after another especially when it comes to warranty work. Twice I took my 700X2 to Boise because Guy's couldn't fit it. Both times they charged me labor because "couldn't fix so couldn't cover under the warranty." I just don't trust them any more.

Quick Reply: ADC binding up, any ideas??