Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ADC binding up, any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADC binding up, any ideas??

I took my 08 700 x2 into the dealer Thursday for a problem with the ADC. The dealer hasn't seen any issues with the ADC so I thought I'd throw it out to the forum to see if any of you had any ideas. And the dealer's service dept is backed up for 2 weeks.

So here's the low down:
1) No issue with switch in 4x2. no wierd noises,binding, etc .
2) No issue with switch in 4x4. 4x4 works fine,front wheels engage, no binding or wierd noises.
3) Switch to 4x4 ADC and machine seems to bind up. clunking/chattering noise seems to be eminating from front diff. Machine labors to move forward from standing start. This is from a flat, level start. Everything worked fine till last weekends trail ride when I noticed the problem crop up.
4) Switch back to 4x4 or 4x2 and problem ceases.

All fluids are at their proper level.

Machine has 78 hrs and 678 miles on it. All oils have been maintained and changed at recommended intervals using only polaris oils. No metalic chunks during oil changes.

Ideas?

Old 07-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

I here there is a new fluid called “Demand Drive Plus” its formulated for all the ADC unit. I would triy this new fluid and see what happens. Im going to call my dealer and see if they think I should change both my ADC fluid with the Demand Drive Plus, I have LT Demand in there now and is still working fine.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

What are you running for tires? the wrong size or psi front to rear will cause ADC bind.

Pulling out from a stop the ADC shouldn't even be engaged, it must be stuck in ADC, turn on ADC before you start down the hill not after you start down, this causes it to be jammed in and can bust the rollers. Try putting it in reverse and spinning the rear wheels to get it to release.

Same thing for 4wd, put it in 4wd before you start spinning the rear tires, you can break the front end.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

It still has the stock tires. Air pressures were fine. I use the ADC most of the time as we're using it as a two up machine most of the time. The first time I noticed a problem was when I went to take off after completeing some steep downhills. From there on I rode it in 4x4 w/o ADC with no problem.

I saw the new oil when I dropped the 700 off but I still have the LT and demand drive oils on my shop shelf. I'll give the new oil a try after I'm out of the original stuff.

I guess we'll see what the dealer comes up with when they get it in for a checkup.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:47 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Did you notice the thread 850/550XP oils ? Apparently there is an updated diff fluid to solve this problem.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

I saw the thread on the oil. I think I'm dealing with a machanical issue instead of oil. All of the oils used were Polaris spec. with no issues till now. I'll update when I get more info from the dealer.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider

What dealer are you using WFOIdaho? Guys Outdoor?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

Yea, I dropped it off at Guy's. It seems as though they got slammed from the Fourth of July. Their shop is backlogged two to three weeks. Thought about Buds, I've had a couple of farm 6x6 in their shop for 4 weeks, but it seems as though their slower than heck also. Both shops seem to do good work. It's just a matter of who can turn it around quicker.

I just bought 2 more 08 700 x2s last friday from Guy's as replacements for the 2 500 6x6's so figured I would have a little leverage at Guy's. Their supposed to get into my personal x2 with the ADC problem this week, We'll see.......

As a side note when I went looking for the x2's I called up to Bud's and asked them if there were any leftover 08 x2s and they just brushed me off, said that there weren't any available. Called Guy's and they found 2 700's and a 500 in a matter of minutes. Had the deal done over the phone and picked up the x2's the next day. Go figure..........

Old 07-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Yea Guy's is where I go, mainly because it's convenient. They do good work but I have a hard time getting them to give me a good deal sometimes! LOL! They know they have the valley area to themselves, as far as Polaris goes!
I hope they don't soak you too much, and you get your machine back soon!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by rancher55
Yea Guy's is where I go, mainly because it's convenient. They do good work but I have a hard time getting them to give me a good deal sometimes! LOL! They know they have the valley area to themselves, as far as Polaris goes!
I hope they don't soak you too much, and you get your machine back soon!
you know they are not in the business to give **** away

Quick Reply: ADC binding up, any ideas??