Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Weird things with my xp 850 eps

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird things with my xp 850 eps

I have a couple things with my 850, When it is running the engine sounds like it has a noise that's sounds like a wet fan belt when you wash your truck motor(kinda squeaky). I always assumed it was the charging system because EPS is electric. Any of you notice that with EPS? It has made this noise since new with less than .1 hrs on it and now have 35 hrs on it
The other thing that worries me is when I take the dipstick out and run the engine there is plenty of pressure in there and it throws oil out.
NOTE: DO NOT TAKE OUT DIPSTICK WITH MOTOR RUNNING... it will break your dipstick of with the balance shafts!
Has any noticed this also.........Thanks for your comments people!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its throwing oil because the balance shafts are throwing it..not because of pressure...and yes there have been ppl on here that say they just laid the stick in the hole instead of screwing it back it and it broke the stick

Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

I have EPS on my 850 and I have not heard the noise you describe.

- brian

Old 07-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Range Rover
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Jomax
I have a couple things with my 850, When it is running the engine sounds like it has a noise that's sounds like a wet fan belt when you wash your truck motor(kinda squeaky). I always assumed it was the charging system because EPS is electric. Any of you notice that with EPS? It has made this noise since new with less than .1 hrs on it and now have 35 hrs on it
The other thing that worries me is when I take the dipstick out and run the engine there is plenty of pressure in there and it throws oil out.
NOTE: DO NOT TAKE OUT DIPSTICK WITH MOTOR RUNNING... it will break your dipstick of with the balance shafts!
why would take the dipstick out while it is running? that is just asking for problems. if you don't know about something, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Jomax
IF THE DIPSTICK BROKE OFF INSIDE OF YOUR MOTOR, THE WHOLE ENGINE HAS BE TORN DOWN TO THE CRANKSHAFT, that info is from the Polaris service trainers

Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Ruggo
I have EPS on my 850 and I have not heard the noise you describe.

- brian
Thanks for the info Rugo.....thats what I wanted to know! I"ll take it to the dealer and see if there is anything wrong with it. That noise kinda bothered me right from the git go. I asked my dealer about it when I picked it up, He said it was a cold belt (the temp was around freezing) so I continued on my way. Thats why I had my dipstick out... to see if I could hear the noise coming out of the crankcase. If there was a problem inside the engine I would think it would of broke by now.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you submerged the thing? I know..... "never" is the common response to this question, or " I only use it to get my mail, and it only gets ridden on my lawn" If you got the belt a little wet, it may make some noise. the EPS system is an electric motor, no belts or squeaky parts. Does it make this noise all the time? only when moving? does it go away when you increase engine speed?
These machines use a stator, not an alternater, if the charging system is making noise, have fun. Bring it to a dealer and have them look at it.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

No I have never sunk it........went thru some "holes"... but like I said It made that "wet Belt" noise right from the dealer with less than .1 hrs on
It makes noise when it is hot or cold.
It makes the same noise when it is any gear or neutral.
It does change tone a bit and maybe a little quieter when you rev it up... but perhaps the engine is just louder
When a put a stethascope on the belt cover I can't hear it coming from there.. seems to be coming from the front if anything.... but hard to pinpoint.
Like I said..........made the noise right out of the box...er crate

Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

Hello...Just purchased a 850 with eps...It has the same whine you talk about.I just assumed it was the eps system..let me know if you find out otherwise.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

Just got back from Holidays..... I took my 850 out to the dealer and he listened to it and said they all make that noise, so I'm going to keep driving! Hope you like your new machine Dlsanic, luv mine

Quick Reply: Weird things with my xp 850 eps