Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 sprtsman 400 AWD (Need HELP) please

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 sportsman 400 AWD (Need HELP) please (right wheel only engaging)

Recently purchased a 2002 sportsman 400 4x4...

Noticed only the right wheel spins in front when in AWD...

Earlier was reversing and noticed same thing......And just after that bike was pulling hard to right......(was driving on a small patch of pavement prior and than on gravel when noticed it pulling...) Was going forward at the time.

I stopped took out of AWD and reversed a bit and tried in 2wd and seemed fine, and tried AWD again...and steering was ok than.......BUT again only 3 wleels spin...(front right)

What would be problem ?????? and cause to bind the right wheel and pull to right?

Plus why isnt the other wheel on left front engaging....?

Is there a way to test the electrical power going down to front left wheel?

Please note my speedometer doesnt work....But (The speedometer lights up, and hour meter and mileage shows on bike).....Just the needle doesnt move...

I have read in other post that speedometers can make the AWD not work...But in my case the right front does engage in AWD...(just not the left front)

Any help thanks.....And would anyone know of online repair maual for this machine..Thanks

Old 07-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on that year bike the speedo doesnt control the awd i do beleave. its pulling hard because only one side is engauging. have youchecked or changed your hub fluid? the fluid needs to be changed once in a while for good operation w/ the correct polaris hub fluid. if thats the the issue then the armature may be either bad or no power or may need a good cleaning. imo.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks..I will try changing fluid when gets chance....

But when ATV was in AWD before, it never puled that hard to right before....When it did act up...

I tried later after it happend In AWD, and didnt pull like befor to left tho...(like earlier did)

Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hopefullly its not a bad wheel bearing going as well. sometimes they act that way as well. should be easy to tell by jacking it up and spinning the wheel. imo.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:54 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Please note my speedometer doesnt work....But (The speedometer lights up, and hour meter and mileage shows on bike).....Just the needle doesnt move...

I have read in other post that speedometers can make the AWD not work...But in my case the right front does engage in AWD...(just not the left front)
When Polaris came out with the digital speedo in 2000 it was made to operate the AWD. The reason your one wheel turns is because its your "Hall Effect"sensor(At right front brake disk) that failed not your speedo. Its a simple $70 fix BTW. but not your 3wd problem in this case.

I would check your dead front wheel's, hub fliud and change it (Both while your at it) If that is not it then cheak power supply to non turning hub.

Did you eliminate if its the left front axle's inner u-joint or lower CV joint that are not broke?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks..

How do i check the voltage to wheel for AWD? Is there a certain way, or is it just a positive and negative 2 wire lead. That just hook up and measure voltage or?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Follow the 2 hub wire red/white and gray while power and awd is on to left wheel, if it has no power but your right wheel wires does then there is a break in the left wire somewhere.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Aww.ok..Thanks may have to try this soon.....Never took it apart yet...

Also I been reading something about john deere parts carriers /rollers..for sportsmans...Is this for the system the 2002 sportsman 400 has that crossover and cheaper?

Are they much canadian at the john deere dealer, and are they used in the Gator?

Also would love a crossover(substitude) for front wheel bearings and seals...That can buy from bearing shop....If any info thanks.....

Also maybe rear wheel bearings if know a crossover type instead of polaris bearings in rear to fit the 2002 sportsman 400....

Another quick question is when let off gas, and go down hill, the EBS dont seem always engaging......also heard high pitch squeal whn coasting.....WHat could that be? worn belt maybe or?

BVut when give ATV gas, it went away the squeal.....Thanks so much..

Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Here is a good link on Polaris substitute parts.Make a list of common numbers we need

Here is a video on how to cheack your EBS oneway bearing.

YouTube - Changeing belt POLARIS ATV