Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Sportsman twin Runs on one cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009 | 10:13 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Question 2006 Sportsman twin Runs on one cylinder

Hey guys and gals im a noob to the posts so please bear with me. I have been having trouble with my twin running on one cylinder after going through a big mud or water hole. I changed the plugs and wires. I think it is an electrical/ moisture problem. I was told by the dealership it was most likely the wires but it did the same thing with the new wires on. Maybe Coil? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-2009 | 10:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default One Cyl

Sounds like a coil issue.

Old 07-28-2009 | 01:55 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Do you think a guy could get away with spraying the coil with electrical sealant or am I gonna have to spring for a new coil?

Old 07-28-2009 | 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

Go get some di-electric grease and put a quite a bit in each plug wire boot , should stop your problem, mine did the same thing.

Old 07-28-2009 | 06:24 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
Go get some di-electric grease and put a quite a bit in each plug wire boot , should stop your problem, mine did the same thing.

Old 08-06-2009 | 01:08 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips guys. Just an F.Y.I. I found out that the coil had a tiny spot on the back where it was grounding out against the frame. When the water splashed up it would act as a conductor between the 2. Weird and probably a very rare problem but I hope that is it. I also filled the wires with the grease which was also a very good idea. Thanks again.

Old 09-27-2009 | 09:11 AM
Trailblazer

I had the same exact problem on my '06 SP800 yesterday, the very first puddle I dropped a cylnder and turned right around. Sad! I'm gonna have to take my coil off the machine and inspect it closely. Just d-greasing the plug boots at the coil did nothing sadly. I'll report back. Erik

Old 09-27-2009 | 09:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Fix the rubbing problem first, silicon the woren area of coil and then use the electricial spray and on every wire connection you can see on the entire ATV.

Old 09-27-2009 | 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC
Fix the rubbing problem first, silicon the woren area of coil and then use the electricial spray and on every wire connection you can see on the entire ATV.
When I pulled the wires from my coil and let them dangle, a fair amount of water poured out of the wire loom that surrounds the wires. Do you think I could have a cracked wire and the water getting in there is my culprit? Thanks, Erik

Old 09-27-2009 | 10:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Those coil wires are pretty heavy and hard to crack, Your talking about the round black plastic tubing the wires fish through? if so they will hold water no matter what they just defend againds rubbing wear aginst the frame.

Concentrate on the wire end connections only and see if that works first,before a bad spot in between which would be a long fustrating track down for sure.

Quick Reply: 2006 Sportsman twin Runs on one cylinder