Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

headlight mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight mod?

looking for anyone with info and or instructions on how to complete the 3 headlight mod.... i would like to do it but i want also want to do it right....proper resistor and wiring.... ect..... thanks in advance

Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

I used a relay to draw power from the accessory outlet, to send to the low beams. The high beam wire was the trigger for the relay, and I used the ground at the accessory out too. I don’t remember the wire colors for the low and high beams off hand - found them in a service manual.

My machine didn't have work lights installed, and I did this at the same time - very easy. The polaris kit contains a switch and two bulbs for $20. I went to autozone and got a rocker switch and two bulbs for $6 with tax. The connector is under the headlight pod, and there is a template on the back of the pod that shows you where to cut to install the switch. Cant remember the number of the bulbs. Its the same base as a 194, but the bulb portion is twice the size.

Mike

Old 07-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

dark green(low beam) yellow(high beam) get a large diode like a 6amp. when the diode is installed with the gray ring facing the the dark green wires. so that when the yellow wire is powered it feeds the diode then feeds the dark green wires making the low beam come on. but when the low beams are on the diode dont allow power to feed the yellow wires. if needed i can draw a diagramand post it for the relay.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

There are a few diagrams floating around here someplace;if you do a search you can prolly find them.
I have the diagrams in my documents but I'm running in "safe mode" due to computer problems so I can't post a link for you...sorry.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

I dont have a diagram. Pin 30 on the relay is for the B+(power in), pin 87 is power out to the low beams, 85 and 86, one needs to be grounded, and the other is the trigger wire from the high beams.

Mike

Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

thanks guys ill pull my pot off and look into it ... about the relay/ diode any type that works better than others...?or best place to get one?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight Mod

Check my posts. I put one in a while ago to do the headlight mod with a relay(safer) and the reverse override. If you can't find it drop me a line and I'll forward you the info.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

look on ebay. cost 6 dollars.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

I bought the diode conversion online (ebay) for $3.30 and it was shipped US mail Prioroty and arrived withing two days. It came with the instructions and was easy to install. I know others have instructions, but it is a pain to drive arround town to find the materials...works great. my two cents

Old 07-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mod

Problem with the diode mods off ebay is that they use a cheap, small one. If going with a diode then quadovator is your best bet.

Here's how to do it yourself with a relay inside the headlight pod:
#30 to green(low beam)
#87 to red(hot wire on lighter plug)
#86 to yellow(high beam)
#85 to brown(lighter plug ground)
I picked up a 5 pin relay from Napa that also came with the harness/plug which made doing connections easier. Also, tap in to the green & yellow wires at the bottom of the pod by the upper headlight.

If you want the easy reverse override mod here it is:
Tap a pigtail wire into the lighter plug ground and the gray/orange wire on the 16 pin harness that plugs into the speedo. Hook them up to a toggle switch and you are set. On gives you full power at all times without using the override button. Off allows you to use the override button to scroll through the speedo displays.

Quick Reply: headlight mod?