Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Beware of PSI performance personal!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill sorry to hear PSI is giving you a hard time, this never happened to me.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 02-21-2001, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scramdaddy400,
well my problems are certainly not any fault of yours.You can only give me advice that worked for you and you have been nothing but helpful for me,I thank you very much for that.

Thor,
I went and talked to my buddie Kevin at the muffler shop and he said he knows of nothing from HDP that will work on my quad.I talked to him about adapting a Scramber silencer to the PSI pipe,he said he would need to see it first.I will call Hot seat and talk to them about the spark arrester you mentioned,
Bill

Old 02-21-2001, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Rick Ritter sells that spark arrestor as well. It's a Cobra Sparky.

Old 02-21-2001, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Bill you're right.

Kevin at the muffler shop wouldn't know of the HPD muffler because they would not stock it nor be exposed to it on a regular basis.

Perhaps I saw an experimental model on the the quad that I had looked at. But it was an automotive type muffler about 14" long and about 6 to 7" in diameter.

It had the appearance that somebody had gone through a muffler inventory at a shop and had snatched up what looked like a resonator, and then adapted it to fit the quad. It wouldn't be that hard to do if you showed Kevin what your space limitations were and what sized inlet and outlet that you needed.

I am sure that these $300 mufflers are paying somebody's rent but they should be able to be had for less than $50 with a little bit of Yankee ingenuity. Remember the old "Cherry Bombs" and the like from J.C. Whitney? There has to be something out there off of the shelf that will function well.

Old 02-21-2001, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.jhtml?CATID=3169

Check out this link!. With a little measuring and a spot weld here and there... Voila!! You just saved $250.00 and became an ATV exhaust performance pioneer.

Old 02-21-2001, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

A few years ago PSI was proclaiming how much more hp they made than anyone else. Magazine ads and the like proclaiming that theirs was the "best", etc. Well, the others are still around, still making their version of hp pipes and PSI probably hasn't sold too many of their own pipes. In fact, I have only seen one ever used on a 2-stroke.

The problem with virtually all atv muflers that make hp is that they are "LOUD". I've not seen or heard of one that is quiet and makes decent power. There are some very small mufflers that stainless exhaust shops use or can have made up for various applications. I tried one last fall, it works great, but it's even louder yet. These small units can be about 6" - 12" long, depending on what you need. You can get a custom size length and inlet/outlet welded up. They are all stainless. The guts have a v-shaped waffle grate inside. This technology came from high performance diesel mufflers. They look similar to some of the slip-on sled mufflers, or kind of like a small glass-pack cherry bomb. I think I'm going to try one of these mufflers on my next exhaust system, but as far as quiet, they are not.

I put a pair of the 24" stainless (diesel) mufflers on my '97 Tahoe 350 V-8 along with a complete dual stainless exhaust system and they sure do sound nice, but are a little too loud for most mainstream people.

Those slip-on Sparky's don't stay on. They have a clamp and will fall off on the first hard hit. Unless you want to find a way to bolt it on permanantly, forget it. I don't think it would be real hard to make an internal spark arrestor insert for any of the current mufflers out there.

For those interested, that new White Bros. R4 is a really nice pipe for 4-stokes. Even though they don't make one to fit a Polaris exactly yet, it can be easily modified by a competent welder to fit and looks great. This muffler has a removable end cap that lets you change from a spark arrestor to race setup real fast. It's one of the better looking units out there, finished off real nice.

Old 02-21-2001, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynoport claims they have a pipe and silencer for my application.They said they will have to make up a spark arrester for their silencer that will protrude from the end of the silencer somewhat.I asked how much somewhat was,she said the boss was not around and for me to call back later.

I went and checked out a friend at MPS motorsports near my home,he said he thinks he has an AAenn[is that how thats spelled?]on a cycle with no spark arrester,he is suppose to take it off and bring it in to work tommorrow.If it fits on the end of my pipe,he said he will order one with a spark arrester.

Now if that dont work,I think I'll call RcR tommorrow and have him send me a Scrambler stock silencer/spark arrester and bring it up to the muffler shop and see what Kevin can do with it?If that dont work,
I might give up quaddin?[Yah right]