Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Beware of PSI performance personal!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last Monday I talked to a guy by the name of TY at PSI.I told him I had a 2000 400cc Xplorer and I wanted a QUITE silencer/spark arrester and pipe because I was soon to be a certified ASI safety instructor,I also said in Michigan,we HAVE to have a spark arrester and be under 96db sound level by law.He said 300 dollars and you'll have a quite pipe and silencer.The parts get in on Wednesday,TY said earlier on Monday that the pipe and silencer/arrester were a one piece unit,they were not.In fact,the damn silencer does not even come with a spark arrester like TY said it would.Man is this thing loud,and im damn mad.I talked to TY on Thursday and he play me off like I never said anything about a quite pipe and spark arrester.When I talked to TY earlier in the wk on Monday,I told him that I was soon to be a ASI safety instructor and that in Michigan we have to have a spark arrester and MUST be under 96db sound.Now Ty remembered that I told him about being a safety instructor but he did'nt seem to remember me wanting a quite pipe with a SA.Now isnt that like being a police officer and going out and robbing banks while being one?How ignorant can one be?A safety instructor who deliberatly knows his quad is illegal?Makes No sense to me.I talked to someone else at PSI,she told me that they dont even have an arrester for this pipe and that it dont come below 96db.She said I could send the pipe and silencer back.Big deal,why did'nt they tell me that when I talked to them about ordering it on Monday?

Does anyone know of a silencer/spark arrester that will fit PSI pipe?The pipe fits real good and I'd love to keep it,however,the noisey silencer and no spark arrester have got to go,
Thanks to all,
Bill

Old 02-21-2001, 06:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a "too loud" pipe on my SP500. I have the HO mods I got from you (which I LOVE!!) and the DG pipe drives my ridin' buddies nuts. I like the throttle response or the pipe, but would like something more quiet. I'll be keeping up with this thread...

Old 02-21-2001, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

Todd,
whats makes me most mad is I spent 300 dollars on TRASH and MY labor to install it,all because some stupid partsman wanted to sell parts instead of what I needed.Now,I get to send him his pipe and silencer back.I got news for these idiots,if no one in these Forums can tell me of a silencer and spark arrester that will fit the PSI pipe,Im calling them this wk and informing them that THEY can send UPS to my house and THEY can occur the cost of taking THEIR junk back.Im so glad I paid for this with my credit card instead of a cashiers check,at least now I can disput this with my credit card company and they will DENY payment to PSI.I wished I could get the cost of my labor to,but we all know I cant do that.
Bill

Old 02-21-2001, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

Howdie,

Ususally the better the performance, the louder the machine...........as a general rule.

Bill,

It seems as though you are rather upset w/ your purchase, but 96db is pretty loud. I know that HPD and FMF have a (an) spark arrested (HPD's I know is in one peice) silencer that gets you down to 94db. I personally dont have experience w/ either. You could also try putting the stock silencer back on????.

The added airflow (if you have air box mods) is going to seem to make it louder as well.

Good luck, and I hope things work out for you.

Old 02-21-2001, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Personally, I think PSI makes cheap junk. They have a few so-so products, but generally suck.

This is from a snowmobilers perspective.

You can do much better than PSI. Send it back!

Old 02-21-2001, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

You have just run into "B.S. Bubba da parts guy" from PSI.

Sounds like the BSer that Odin ran into when he tried to do business with the Sidewinder Sprocket and chain people. lies, lies, lies. What you were told over the phone and what came to the door were two different things. It certainly is discouraging when you put your trust in people and they use that as a weakness to feather their own nest.

Bill, have you tried a "Scrambler HO" silencer on the Xplorer yet?

HPD has also adapted an automotive muffler to fit on a Polaris. If you had a friend at a mufflet shop you could give him the intake measurement and he could fix you up with a small cannister that would work and it wouldn't cost $300. There you go. Get on down to Midas and tell them what you want!! Good luck.

Old 02-21-2001, 10:40 AM
Range Rover

Bill,
I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but I had the same requirements as you (spark arrestor, and quiet). I talked to Rick at RCR, and he told me that the HPD Scrambler pipe can be used with the stock muffler/spark arrestor. He sold me his RCR stage 1 kit, but with the HPD pipe instead of the RCR pipe. The stock muffler bolts up to it just like factory.
Good luck,
Lorrin Lee

Old 02-21-2001, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Quadbuster,
Rick Ritter sent me a HDP pipe and a stock Scrambler silencer,I had to send it back to him.My Xplorer is a 2000 model and the shifter is in a DIFFERANT location than that on a 99 Xplorer,I could'nt get low range,the pipe was hitting the shifter linkage badly.The HDP pipe will work on the 99 Model,but not the 2000 Xplorer.Also,my stock silencer is a tank[huge] and I have no chance of making that work on the PSI pipe,to bad,the PSI pipe and silencer are a perfect fit.

Thor,
I have alot of great friends that work at the Mufflar man,I will ask about the muffler you talked about,however,I dont THINK auto mufflers come with a spark arrester do they?

Old 02-21-2001, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

Bill has an Explorer, I have seen a few folks use exhaust as you describe leel. On Bill's machine (a 2000 model) it seems the shift linkage has an interferance with the exhaust , the 1999 models seem to accept it and they fit ok . The factory Scrambler muffler is the quietest best working muffler/spark arrester I know of , but , it needs revised mounting to hook up to an Explorer , and then again , from what I am informed , the Explorer needs to be a 1999 model. I know this because Bill had to return this setup to us . I have seen and heard of folks using what I sent Bill , but apparantly those machines were 1999 models , not the 2000 like Bill has .

On a Scrambler 400 the HPD pipe fits perfectly to factory muffler .

Old 02-21-2001, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bill,

I just got off of the phone with the folks at Hot Seat. The sell a USDA spark arrestor that will fit over an outlet pipe of 2 1/2 or a 3" diameter if this is of help to you. The price was $59.95

You might also try these guys.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strap5s.cfm

Quick Reply: Beware of PSI performance personal!