Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris sp 500 pull cord trubs???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Polaris sp 500 pull cord trubs???

I just fixed my brakes on the 500sp waited 8 weeks for a seal kit lol,drove it around made sure the brakes were working everything was cool.I drove the kids around the house a few times.I then stopped the bike.I then went in to the house and left the bike out in the drive.
I went back out to put it away in the garage went to pull it to start it and the cord just locked up solid.I have replaced the bendix and had cleaned everything and put the pull cord part all back together and it worked great.I put a new battery in but is not strong enough to crank the electric starter over and it's not week enough to use the warranty for a new battery.This is why I was using the pull cord.I think I'm going to have to strip it down again.I've been working on it more than riding it.I think I might have an 1hr of riding in this year.I bought it used and new it had some problems.Is something I should look for before I pull the cover off?If anyone has any info let me know.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so the elc. start doesnt work so you can bunt the starter over to see if that will help? you said you rebuilt the starter but still doesnt work? can you boost or charge the battery to see if it will kick it over. you could boost it w/ a car(w/ the engine off on the boosting vechicle) and try to start it, other vise maybe try to use a rubber hammer to tap the starter cover to see if something frees up else its pulling it apart time. good luck.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pull start problems

It sounds like you are having the same problems I am having these machines have a compression release on the cam shaft it is on the exhaust side it releases compression to allow it to turn over easier the dealer says a new cam is around 400 installed I am trying to see if there is any adjustments look at my post it is compression release there have been a couple responses hope it helps if you find something I'm interested.