Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bad Stator

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Stator

I think I have narrowed down my last problem to a bad stator. I have replaced wires, circuit breakers, the voltage rectifier (black box in front of the radiator) and numerous other things. The voltage while the engine is running stays at around 11.8 volts. When I test the resistance on the stator, it show an open circuit. It should read .13 (or .013, going from memory). I opened the stator cover up last night and everything in there is very rusty. I have not pulled the flywheel yet. I will see about doing that tonight maybe. Is the Stator repairable, or should I just spring for the $150 replacement on eBay?

Old 09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DB electrical isn't bad either, check E-Bay

Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

so how do I find out which stator I need. I am not real sure exactly what year my 4 wheeler is. I just recently found out it has had 5 owners before me and the last guy before me was pretty shady. I have found pieces that make me thing it is an early 00, a late 00 and the wiring harness suggest it is an 01 (key switch wiring) . The vin number says it is a 00. What should I be looking at? Do I need to take the stator off first? Are they all the same for these years?
Thanks,

Old 09-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey bcdudley, what symptoms does your quad have to make you think it's the stator? I've got a 03 sportsman 500 that bogs until the motor is good and warm (20-30 minutes) and then works fine. I'm pretty sure it's electrical as I've gone thru all the fuel components, I've cleaned up all my electrical connections but am not good at diagnosing electrical components.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

My electrical system is only running at around 12.2 volts. When I perform the resistance check between the yellow and the yellow/red wires coming from the stator, it is reading it as an open circuit. It should be reading at .13 ohms. The battery is brand new. I have replaced the circuit breaker as well as the voltage regulator. Also, the entire area inside the stator compartment is all rusted out. When I rev up the engine, my voltage actually drops to 11.5 - 11.8 volts, then goes back up to 12.2 at idle. I can ride around on it during the day (i.e. no headlights) for a few hours before the battery gets low enough to not be able to start it anymore. At night, it only takes about 30 minutes.

I do not know for sure that it is the stator, but everything I can see is pointing in that direction.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

If your stator was bad compeltely your quad wouldnt run as it wouldnt have spark. Your stator may be slowing going bad but its not dead...yet. I replaced the stator on my 400 and my flywheel was all rusty too but it didnt seem to be affecting anything else.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

That is what a few other people told me as well, about it not running. Hmm. Is it possible for just the charging portion to be bad. All the test I have done so far are pointing to the stator. Maybe it is just a bad (severly corroded) connection that needs to be cleaned up. I am going to go rent a flywheel puller and see what it looks like under there. Maybe I will find something that won't be so expensive.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

I got the harmonic balance puller and I am having some difficulty removing the flywheel. I have the one where the 3 bolts all screw into the flywheel. Other than the center nut, it there anything else that need to be done to remove it. I have cranked it down to the point it feels like something is gonna break. Should i keep going, or do I need to remove something else. The manual only mentions the center bolt.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bad Stator

Guys, my son's Scrambler 50cc dies out after running for only a few feet. There are times when I can run it straight for 20 min but not often. Carb is clean...New plugs and coil. I was told to check the stator but don't know where it's located. Can anyone give me detailed description on how to get to it?

thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: Bad Stator