Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bad Stator

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 50cc

Guys, my son's Scrambler 50cc dies out after running for only a few feet. There are times when I can run it straight for 20 min but not often. Carb is clean...New plugs and coil. I was told to check the stator but don't know where it's located. Can anyone give me detailed description on how to get to it?

thanks,
Mike

Old 10-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Right hand side as your sitting on the atv. Pull the plastic cover and you have to have an inside thread flywheel puller to pull the flywheel. Sometimes you can clean the dirt and trash around the flywheel and pickup coil and will get good spark,other times have to pull the flywheel and clean stator and inside of flywheel of all the dirt/mud that accumulates. Most of the time they short out,but some I've been able to save by cleaning. Just a bad design on air flow to cool the stator area,attracts dirt,water causing em to short out! Even up until the 4-strokes came out the little 2-strokes ate up stators,not cdis or coils for the most part! Also check for any kinks,bends in the fuel line that could be causing fuel starvation. Plus not a bad idea to check that it has decent compression also( at least around 90-100 psi on the little 50). OPT

Old 04-28-2017, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcdudley
That is what a few other people told me as well, about it not running. Hmm. Is it possible for just the charging portion to be bad. All the test I have done so far are pointing to the stator. Maybe it is just a bad (severly corroded) connection that needs to be cleaned up. I am going to go rent a flywheel puller and see what it looks like under there. Maybe I will find something that won't be so expensive.
A Flywheel puller is $15 on ebay. Get the correct one for your cycle. An ordinary puller wheel not work. A bad stator can have good readings at first, but change as the engine warms causing it to bog, backfire, foul plugs. Gas gets in there but not all is being burned. If you have symptoms like this and all else has been checked (carb, air filter, reeds,exhaust, crank seals, air check, ignition, plug, correct timing), it could be your stator. When the stator cover is first pulled off and you can see that water got in there (bad gasket) and corroded the flywheel and stator, there's a good chance it messed it up. The flywheel can be cleaned with rust remover. May as well replace the crank seal while you are there. Ricky stator and Rick's Motorsport are quality stators and usually run about $150. I got mine for $130 on Ebay special.

Searching for my bad stator on my ATV wasn't easy and cost me a lot of time and money. I replaced my entire top end, new carb, crank seals, ignition, many plugs, many carb jets, inspected my entire bottom end, reeds, air. I hope my experience helps someone find a solution a lot faster than I did.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bamagolds
May as well replace the crank seal while you are there. Ricky stator and Rick's Motorsport are quality stators and usually run about $150. I got mine for $130 on Ebay special.
Wholeheartedly agree on Ricks or Ricky stators as being as good as the oem Polaris stators.Have used them before,but a lot of people are still drawn to those cheap 18-20 buck Chinese stators and other electronics that a lot of times are hit or miss as far as reliability and caused more frustrations. Just because these stators are new doesn't mean they'll always work as some have found out.Polaris 50 stator | eBay I always had at least a couple stators in stock for these little ones especially for kids that went through every mud hole they could find and fried stators.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread started 8 years ago and was resurrected 6 years ago. It's too late to help those guys but it may help someone else with the same problem.