Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Power Steering Problem 2009 550 XP

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um..I guess I'm a hick, but if it is worn, wouldn't it be easier to turn instead of harder?.

I would try a a hard reboot of the electronics by disconnecting the battery for several hours, (or overnight). It could be the power steering control box has 'lost it's mind', and is not sending voltage to the actuator motor.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the same thing...should be hareder to turn if parts are worn out. I hadn't thought about disconnecting the battery overnight...will try that.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with the service manager late yesterday afternoon. He has been in contact with their tech line. He was advised to check the connections at the power steering motor and then to reflash the ECM. He further advised that he received a letter dated 9-9-09 (which he has not had a chance to really review to see what the updates are) and he has not received the CD yet to download to their computer. I have read where some people have had their units reflashed..especdislly on the 850's, to try to lessen the vibration at idle. If I recall correctly the same has been done for the 550's which increased the idle about 50 to 75 RPM's in an attempt to correct a clunking when the transmission is put into gear. I was also given a number for Polaris coustomer service.....what a waste of time. I was told I had to go through the dealer. I told her that I have already done that..well go to another dealer then...I was told that Polaris has no one in a tech. line capacity that can talk with customers.to try to resolve their problems. I re-contacted hte service amnager and he asked about my contact with customer service. He wasn't surprised with my answer. Basically he acknowledges that there is a problem, but he can't duplicate the ratcheting steering problem, but he can feel the stiffness that is not there in 2 new units on his floor. The tech. line advised him to reflash the unit and give it back to me. A lot of good that is going to do. I am at my wits end with this problem. Anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks.