2nd that !!!!!!

Old 09-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

true...

Old 09-15-2009, 06:48 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I bought the plastic one from Walmart and ground the sharp corners off to make it thinner. Worked great.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dslanec
Then you have never changed a filter on the new xp.....
Or any type of vehicle for that matter IMO...lol..yeah the one on the Xp you aren't getting hands on very well...
But even so in my experience you put them on hand tight per the instructions,ie 1/2,3/4 turn after gasket contact ect..they still never come off nearly as easy as they go on....I agree you shouldn't use a wrench for install..unless you can't get your hands on it to tighten it to spec..if you do use a wrench be VERY careful not to overtighten it. But once the heat and oil pressure work on the filter and gasket they rarely just screw off by hand even when tightened properly,and when they do that is IF the are where you can easily grip them...just doesn't happen often. And if you leave them loose enough that they can be taken off by hand in the future(which is looser than the instructions say) you risk a leak...trust me I've tired..sometimes they leak..sometimes they don't. Maybe you just have Gorilla strength? On by hand off with the wrench..and in the case of the XP on and off with the wrench lol...just make sure you pay attention to how far you tighten it...mark your wrench to help you clock it.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always just used a screwdriver and a hammer as well. It is the universal oil filter removal tool, One size fits all.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Range Rover

i tried 2 different oil filter wrenches couldnt get on it finally got pissed off took off my belt (the one holding my pants on) wraped it around the filter and it unscrewed no problem..i think thats the way the rednecks do it?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem went to the dealer to get one and the mechanic told me to go to napa ..They have one that goes on the end of a ratchet that is adjustable and tightens against the filter as u try to loosen it I have a part number that is on the wrench it is 77-3288 cant remember if it was napa brand or not if that part number doesent work pm me and ill do a little more digging on exactly what brand and who makes it the next time i go in for parts

Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Range Rover
First Things First!

I used the same as Mongrol, the plastic cap that fits over the oil filter with a hole for a ratchet from Walmart. The filter fits flush inside the skid plate and needed to trim the plastic to get it on.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

My 2010 must be different type f wrench was to big for my oil filter guess I will shop around.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by gaspumpcity
My 2010 must be different type f wrench was to big for my oil filter guess I will shop around.
According to the fiche the filter is the same...don't remember what size filter wrench I used...so I can't say the "F" should fit.

Quick Reply: XP Oil Filter Wrench