Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OK HO lets have the low down :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HO, I have to agree with you. In my experience with the Outty, it was great on the power. I remember saying that awhile ago. The 850 needs more low end pep. My BF felt stronger down low also. Hopefully the PCV will help.

I haven't ridden a 2010, but rode a 2006 800 Outty, and the suspension was terrible compared to the XP. The XP handled the trails so much better and doesn't dive in the corners.

I didn't care for the shifter on the Outty though, but the Polaris one isn't superb either. Actually liked the Kawi shifter the best.

How is the low range? That is my favorite feature of the XP lately since I have been riding on our property now, because of hunting season.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

SELL OUT!

j/k

Great report!

R'

Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
HO, I have to agree with you. In my experience with the Outty, it was great on the power. I remember saying that awhile ago. The 850 needs more low end pep. My BF felt stronger down low also. Hopefully the PCV will help.

I haven't ridden a 2010, but rode a 2006 800 Outty, and the suspension was terrible compared to the XP. The XP handled the trails so much better and doesn't dive in the corners.

I didn't care for the shifter on the Outty though, but the Polaris one isn't superb either. Actually liked the Kawi shifter the best.

How is the low range? That is my favorite feature of the XP lately since I have been riding on our property now, because of hunting season.

My riding on the older Outtys was very limited..but I know someone who had an '07 and now has a 2010...he said the suspension handles totally different..and I can tell you the dive in corners just does not happen on my Max...the dive is WAY worse on the XP. The Max is tighter at speed on trails but it is not harsh at all...and maybe it is the wheel base but the suspension has less after action..in other words you hit the bumps and it reacts but you don't continue to feel the machine moving around from the bumps after you have cleared them..where as the XP you do...just my Opinion...have to say I prefer the Outty's handling..again it is a Max..and I'm not alone...I know my wife and daughter prefer the Outty hands down for riding rough trails...my 6 year old even commented how this rough section of trail wasn't nearly as bad on the Max...again alot of that could and probably is the longer wheelbase. On that note with the DPS the Max will go pretty much everywhere I could fathom needing to go...what extra turning radius it may have is more than made up for by being able to get the bars turned faster...I can actually make the tighter turns on the trails I ride easier(ie smaller radius) on the Max.

Low range..I have hit 45 in low without hitting the limiter...I don't know specifics about gearing or RPM vs speed(haven't compared),but it seems to rev lower for a given speed in both low and in high,ie just feels more relaxed,not like it is overrevving...Not sure if it actually revs lower or is geared higher...but it feels like it...if that makes sense.
Another thing is the Outty feels more able to run at lower speeds in High..in alot of areas where I would always run low on the XP I feel comfortable running High on the Outty...the clutching just seems different...doesn't seem to bog the engine or slip the belt as easy as the XP. I find myslef using low alot less now.
Again...my opinion may be vastly different from yours..

What didn't you like about the shifter? Not sure about the older ones...I know I heard of people bending the linkage...the shifter on mine has like a spring relief..you can't really force it..if it doesn't shift butter easily right away the shifter will move with spring resistance..but the linkage doesn't actually move and the gear indicator wont change. If that happens then you just rock you body and pop it goes into gear...that doesn't happen alot..but if it does it is that easy...I could see some getting frustrated if they didn't understand how to make it shift when in a bind. Get the technique down and you can shift it with your pinky and tell at a glance what gear you are in. Again personal preference. I love the shifter so far.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

I don't take your opinion lightly. I take it as a good honest review, but it slightly differs from some of the others I have read. In your review it sounds like the Outty is much improved. When looking at the new XTP, I noticed very little difference in anything from the previous years. It still appeared to have a stooped front end, but then again I didn't ride it, AND being you have the longer wheelbase may change it a little.

I also had a totally opposite feeling with the power of the Outty. The one I rode had very good down low, but seemed to over rev very easily (maybe just sounded like it). The 850 seemed to have more fluid power and seemed more endless. Also was more comfy on the trails, but then again it wasn't a Max.

I thought the 2010's came with skids?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

I don't take your opinion lightly. I take it as a good honest review, but it slightly differs from some of the others I have read. In your review it sounds like the Outty is much improved. When looking at the new XTP, I noticed very little difference in anything from the previous years. It still appeared to have a stooped front end, but then again I didn't ride it, AND being you have the longer wheelbase may change it a little.

I also had a totally opposite feeling with the power of the Outty. The one I rode had very good down low, but seemed to over rev very easily (maybe just sounded like it). The 850 seemed to have more fluid power and seemed more endless. Also was more comfy on the trails, but then again it wasn't a Max.

I thought the 2010's came with skids?
I know some guys,namely Shelby, who have ridden both prefer the XPs handling...I can't helpt that...just telling you what I prefer. Heck my preference may be different that 99% of the riders out there..doesn't mean mine changes. And I can't say it is much improved over the older ones...If you want an earlier vs 2010 Outty comparo PM Jeff(Kawifan)...he had an 07 and he swears the 2010 is a different machine, better handling and noticably more powerful..
But yes,the power since '06 has increase quite a bit...the low end it good...but it flat out pulls hard all the way to 70(and was still pulling,fast as I have been thought) without any hint of overrevving...partially power and partially clutching I think...but it doesn't over rev at all..the 850 lays down a tad above about 35-40 and seems to overrev to me(with stock clutching)...you know what I am talking about right? That flat spot above 40? Isn't there with the Outty...
As far as handling goes remember mine has DPS...that means no hard *** Outty steering..no kick back..but still has some feedback..a good balance IMO...
By stooped I guess you mean the looks? Yes the front is still pointed down...that is all plastics..nothing to do with handling..can't speak for a '06 so I can't say it handles better or has better power than an '06....but go ride a new one and see what you think?
There is a HDPE partial skid on the 2010..doesn't go all the way back to the back.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

No problem, I respect your opinion. That's what the thread is about. lol

When I mentioned the over revving on the outty, I was referring to High gear, but the way it sounds the new ones are clutched much different.

I know what you mean about low on the 850, but I never get close to that speed. Usually 10 -20 mph and it's much improved over the older sportsmans and some other brands for my liking.

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

No problem, I respect your opinion. That's what the thread is about. lol

When I mentioned the over revving on the outty, I was referring to High gear, but the way it sounds the new ones are clutched much different.

I know what you mean about low on the 850, but I never get close to that speed. Usually 10 -20 mph and it's much improved over the older sportsmans and some other brands for my liking.

Thanks for the info.
It's all good..iOpinions are like..well you know..lol.
If you get a chance to go ride one,a Max with the DPS..you know really ride it on some trails let me know what you think. You can PM me lol.

Yeah...If my video camera was working I would shoot a vid of the Speedo/tach on a pass...maybe Rutcutter will do it for me...it doesn't over rev at all in High. I have noticed though that it seems less stressed sounded at higher RPMS if that makes sense? In other words cruising at 5000 on the Outty it doesn't sound like it is revving as hard as 5000 sounds on the 850..so same thing in low...low may or maynot be geared as high but the speeds are just as comfortable to cruise at,if not more so...and I think you could run 10 mph straight up a wall in high lol...doesn't seem to be straining the engine or the belt.
Bottom line is overall I am very pleased with it...actually more than I expected. If I keep riding it at this pace I'll have as many miles on it in a couple months as I put on the XP in nearly a year lol...a good bit of that is because of the DPS and the extra length...the DPS makes riding the slow technical stuff alot less like work(i know...I'm a wuss) and the added wheelbase makes doing it with a passenger alot easier and more comfortable. Now days my duaghter never passes on riding...

Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Range Rover

Great report HO and thanks for that. Does it seem as thirsty as the XP. I watched an ATV show where they compared the fuel mileage of the 650 with the 850and it got good mileage when cruising at a fixed speed but when they started putting it through it's paces it got the same mileage as the bigger bore quads. This would make me wonder what the 800 would be like.
Thanks
Dave

Old 09-16-2009, 05:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 600Grizzly
Great report HO and thanks for that. Does it seem as thirsty as the XP. I watched an ATV show where they compared the fuel mileage of the 650 with the 850and it got good mileage when cruising at a fixed speed but when they started putting it through it's paces it got the same mileage as the bigger bore quads. This would make me wonder what the 800 would be like.
Thanks
Dave
I haven't completed that test yet. I just topped off the tank and reset the trip meter about 5 miles ago,I'll let you know how it does. Up until then I hadn't tracked the fuel,it wasn full when I got it. I also want to see how accurate the gauge is and if the little bars can be used to judge an accurate fuel level. Each bar should be ~1/2 gal.

BTW the fuel tank is only 4.3 gal now...from what I hear changes in regs mandated a thicker tank which reduced capacity.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

Great report HO!
What's the first mod. going to be? Besides tires! LOL.