Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OK HO lets have the low down :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK HO lets have the low down :)

You probably have a good idea now. How are you finding your Can Am compared to your XP? They are both awesome machines but I'm sure you've found some plus and minus attributes to each.
Take good care
Dave

Old 09-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Range Rover

Bump

Old 09-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Originally Posted by 600Grizzly
Bump
Well? Wheres the report?

R'

Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

Rod is probably out riding still

Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

yeah. where is the report by the way?

Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Originally Posted by 600Grizzly
Rod is probably out riding still

Haha

Old 09-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

He's watching this post and laughing at us. He wants to see how long we'll keep bumping it to get his report.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Pro Rider

More than likely he's doing his second or third mod. on it already! LOL!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Ohh NO he is stuck and can't get out!

"Where's that winch and does someone have a Polaris to pull me out?"

lol....lol

R'

Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

LOL...actually no mods yet..skids on order and HIDs(which BTW are not as easy as on the XP)
I only have abvout 50 miles on it...but let's just say so far I really like it...
I hope this doesn't turn into a mess...alot of the stuff is too close to call and comes down to personal preference. Any way the biggest differences I have noticed(some will be common knowledge)...Also remember I am comparing a much longer wheelbase Outlander Max with PS to the single seat Non-EPS XP also.
*The 850 engine is noticably smoother,silky smooth...the Outty has a vibe to it,but
now that I am used to it it doesn't really bother me...but on longer rides it might get irrtating to my feet.
*The Outty gives off a little more heat,so far not too bad,but noticably more.
*The stock Outty headlights SUCK..I think it is a bad reflector design...form over funcion.,they look mean but don't reflect out the light worth a poop...
*I also prefer the Polaris headlight swtich set up to the Can-Am intergrated
headlight/ignition switch set up.
*The frame on the Outty can in no way be as strong as the Xp's...I think if
you bend the XPs frame you would have mre to worry about that the
frame..like a funeral. Most people have heard this..well it is true..no way the Outlander frame is a tough as the Polaris..but I I think dent protection will go along way toward a trouble free life for the Outty frame unless you get into a collision. Some guys re-enforce the frames..I have insurance in case of a good collision
*The Outty's have a pretty good whine to them,sounds like gear noise at speed and on let out..supposedly it is the clutches..I haven't decided for myself yet where it comes from. Doesn't bother me...not real loud and at lower speeds, 20 mph and lower barely noticable, but it is quite noticable under heavy acceleration and higher speeds if you aren't used to. I could see it bothering some people.
*The Polaris AWD set up is hard to beat,but so far I'd say the Visco QE is
real close if not just as quick to engage...I still haven't completely
tested it but the stuff I did do the QE rocked....definitely narrows the gap in the AWD systems from the past machines.

*Can-Am handling is tighter,more of a sporty feel but not harsh at all,the extra length of Max actually makes it more comfortable and in control on whoop/washboards at speed. The XP is more forgiving when cornering at speed..it rolls and pushes more and warns you when you are about to overdrive it in a corner...the Outty Max handles like it is on rails,but a little too fast and you better be ready to counter steer because she is coming up on 2 wheels in a heartbeat. The XP is front light Outty is pretty well 50/50,low on fuel it is front heavy...
I hate to say it this way,as I have heard it somewhere but it really does fit IMO... you RIDE the Outty and you DRIVE the XP...that is just how it feels to me,if that makes any sense.
I have not had any problems with front end dive that I have read about on the earlier models. I know a buddy who had an '07 Outty and now has a 2010 and he said they definitely improved the front shocks. I can't swear to that,but I know dive isn't and issue on mine.
*The Outty,even the Max feels noticably quicker and more powerful than the 850...sorry fellow 850 owners,but it flat out rolls after some break in time. Also throttle response is quicker. For example with the 850 you can be riding along at say 10mph in high and nail the throttle and immediately let out,ie "blip the throttle without much of a response..you have to stay in the throttle a 1/2 second before it takes off..on the Outty in the same scenario if you blip the throttle you better be ready because it almost immediately responds to the throtte input. The 850 has a decent low end,just not the immediate throttle response of the Outty if that makes sense? Makes for a fun powerful responsive feeling ride..but I am still undecided on whether that is better for techical trail riding. On the XP got in the habit of blipping the throttle riding on some of the rougher portions of the trail,climbing over down trees ect..I going to have to break that habit on the Outty...could end up ugly lol.
The Max is quite a bit lighter. I have weighed both,I don't have the weights
in front of me here but IIRC the Max has about a 50-60# weight advantage. It
is obvious when you try to pick up the back of each machine...I can lift the
max pretty easily..lifting the back of the XP is a nut buster. Granted the XP is
shorter so part of that is possibly a leverage thing. In any case I can pick the back up alot easier,which I like...already had to do it on a trail,goofing around testing the Visco. I had it up against a large downed tree off camber on a hill and let the rear tires spin in 2wd..the rear moved sideways to the right just enough so I was blocked with a tree right behind the right rear bumper....had to get off and pick the rear up so I didn't back my new machine into the tree lol...would have been alot harder to do that on the XP,picking up the back of it is a bear.
*I much prefer the Outty's gated shifter,smoother,less shifting effort and
less notchy than the Polaris shifter,also easier to quickly tell what gear
you are in without having look at the display gear indicator. I have always
disliked the Polaris shifter and often wonder what they were thinking when
they decided to make it the one thing they brought from the old style
Sportsman when they designed the XP
*The Outty's Display is much easier to read and better organized IMO...seems
like the info you need is right where you expect it to be,where the one on
the Polaris the back lighting,or lack of, is dimmer and I still find myself having to
hunt so to speak for the info I need instead of just being able to glance
down at it. Also the warning lights on the Outty are alot better at catching
your attention than the flashing icons on the Polaris.
*The Outty's clutch engagement is a little smoother and the CVT shifting seems more
linear/smoother pulling IMO.
*The Outty's seat is more comfortable,better padding and the front of the seat isn't so much wider as to feel too wide after getting used to the XP.
*The Outty has metal foot pegs and they are well placed..they actually hold your foot position
*The Outty has automotive style balljoints(nuts on the ends instead of pinch bolts)steel knuckles and the tie rods are huge compared to the XPs..The Outys shocks are smaller and just look cheaper..but so far are doing well...and there has been no squeaking..lol

Fit and finish are really a toss up IMO...some stuff better on the XP,some better on the Outty.
Ah..that's the big stuff off the top of my head. Let the bashing begin...lol...
Seriously if anyone has a question about something ask...I like to think I am not biased and will tell it like I see it,that's the thing though..not everyone sees everything the same...the sky isn't always "blue"...I don't mind a good debate.

BTW yes the PS has RUINED me....

One last thing...the tires on the Outty(ACTs) are better that the Terrathons....BUT they are rougher than Horns and mine still are not round...lol. I got my machine right off the crate and they let them down for shipping I guess,so they had flat spots...well after 50 miles they still have slight flat spots! Other than that they are alot better than the thons...but having flat spots I am either going to end up trying to get the warrantied or just breaking down and getting some Big Horns.