Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

heavy duty front springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heavy duty front springs

Read a few posts in here about people adding stiffer springs to the front of their quads to help with steering/sagging with the addition of a winch and plow. I just purchased a 07 x2 500 and noticed my front is sagging and steering seems hard, also my tires are cambered in. This quad only had 200 miles on and low hours. From what I read the cheapest way to fix this is to purchase a set of front heavy duty springs from Polaris. I thought both springs were $50 total? Called the local shop today and they said $50 a piece. Question is if this is true I can purchase a front set of EPI or HL front springs or a few dollars more. Would I be better off buying the progressive springs over the regular heavy duty springs Polaris sells?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

EPI lists part # WE320010 which has a 120# rate for your machine. Retail is 49.95 each. They are designed to be stiffer then you stock set up but no so much the rattle your teeth out when riding. They will help keep the front end from sagging so much. If you have that low of miles the stock ones either went weak or has been over loaded a lot and I would recommend changing them.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Range Rover

I got mine from pure polaris online store for $50/ set. That's right $50 for both. pure polaris online .com or I think I might have seen some for sale on e-bay. But like I posted on another thread the front is alittle on the stiff side, to be expected though, never known anybody personally that have had epi. Haven't heard anything bad though. Polaris ones only come in black if that matters to you or not, whereas epi offers differnt colors but the colors cost a few bucks more. Hope this useful information

Old 09-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Range Rover

I got mine from pure polaris online store for $50/ set. That's right $50 for both. pure polaris online .com or I think I might have seen some for sale on e-bay. But like I posted on another thread the front is alittle on the stiff side, to be expected though, never known anybody personally that have had epi. Haven't heard anything bad though. Polaris ones only come in black if that matters to you or not, whereas epi offers differnt colors but the colors cost a few bucks more. Hope this useful information

Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Got mine for about $50 for the pair off of eBay. It matches the rear shocks a whole lot better now.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

$49 pair like everyone else. I wouldn't spend $50 a piece. Like you said for that price you can get the EPI's.

TIP: Not often found in these threads. The front spring upgrade I feel is a good thing to do to address sag/nose dive issue and assist for plow and more weight on the front etc.
However, don't forget to address your rear setup. The Polaris HD spring will add a 2" lift to the front. I had my rears on the stock setting which was off center. With my riding weight I tended to squat the rear and the front elevated. THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR HILL CLIMBING! Make sure that you address your overall center of gravity (compensate for the rear, I raised my rears all the way up after my flip over-accident). It still is not perfectly centered but much better than the low soft settings from the factory. You can adjust the rear with a spanner wrench. I want to buy a set for the rears (EPI or something else)

Cheers,

R'

Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys for all your help. I thought $50 a piece was high. They weren't in stock but he told me he was going to order a set to have them. I think I will be shopping around and will let you guys know what I find and how it works.

As far as hill climbing goes this thing is a definate improvement over my scramber 400 4X2. You attack hills in a total different way. I have tried many 4X4's hill climbing and I think the added wheelbase is a huge difference. I keep testing its abilities and pull back on the bars going up a hill (after I get comfortable with the hill) and the front wheels don't even think about coming back over. Cause the last thing I want is this thing coming back over on me. Thanks for the advice Rtickwad I will keep this in mind. I don't go crazy on hills but sometimes its the little ones that getcha.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

I have the HD Polaris Springs as well and like effects but noticed the steering is a bit tougher. Overall the added ground clearance, reduced sag etc are all a big plus and offset the negatives. I have my rears set at 1 notch below max and the machine is probably a 1/2 inch higher on the front than back looking at the floorboards.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

What I don't get is some people say the steering is easier and some say harder. My thought process is adding the stiffer springs to set the tires in a more normal position would cause easier steering. My tires are wearing abnormal because of the position of them (cambered bad). I am having the back of the ***** wearing and its only got 400 miles on the quad. Having them in a more straight up and down position would allow less steering effort. Also what is your front tire pressure set at?

Old 09-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

I have 27" Mud Lites set at 6 psi and I had read comments of easier steering from the HD Springs but can only say for me it is a bit harder. No huge deal I am used to it and I don't mean to make it sound like it is a huge difference but I definitely noticed a difference. Being a 800 Touring w/ 27 inch tires it is a bit of a bear compared to most other quads friends have that are 400cc+/- Can-Am and Hondas but it works for me.

Quick Reply: heavy duty front springs