Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XP Noise ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully its all covered by warrenty! Would there be any correlation to even older Sportsman models with knocking noise? My cuz swears that he is still having it after checks to the common areas (his is 2007 with low miles and no aftermarket products)

Thanks,

R'

Old 09-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Range Rover

that sucks, at least their going to replace it ?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
Yes,they changed ball joints and a-arms. I started getting suspicious when these issues started popping up all of a sudden here after the middle of the year and sure enough there is a new ball joint and a-arm part numbers...so far everyone with issue that I have asks has the "New" ball joints. Jomax on HL pm'ed me about his and we started talking,I expressed waht I suspected and he just so happens to have the right tools to do accurate measuring...he confirmed the new ball joints are slightly smaller diameter than the old part number. I was told the old ones are gold anodize colored and the new ones are silver/chrome looking,but the one in that vid looks gold colored. I know the old ones are gold anodizem,but can't swear the new ones don't come in gold too. Anyway,apparently the new ball joints do not get "pinched" properly when the pinch bolt is tightened according to his measurements. IIRC the story correctly they replaced his new style bad ones with a mix of old style and new style and replaced the knuckels...right away the new style started loosening up again. But the old style did not. He end up wrapping the new style ball joint shaft in .001" Stainless shim stock and so far so good. He couldn't get that shim in with the old style...they are a larger diameter. Not by much, .001 or so but apparently enough to make a difference. In any case after alot of trial and error and measuring Jomax agrees...the "new" ball joints are to blame. IMO they need to scrap the alum kniuckles and pinch bolt style ball joints,and go to cast knuckes and interference fit tapered ball joints. The XP could stand a pound or 2 up front without any ill affects IMO.
Actually I used .002 stainless shimstock, since I wrapped it around the joint(actually put in the knuckle first) it actually took up .004 in clearance (.002 per side). I haven't heard anyone getting refused warranty, but one person in Canada said that they are backordered for the last 4 weeks. Goodluck!

Old 09-18-2009, 06:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Jomax
Actually I used .002 stainless shimstock, since I wrapped it around the joint(actually put in the knuckle first) it actually took up .004 in clearance (.002 per side). I haven't heard anyone getting refused warranty, but one person in Canada said that they are backordered for the last 4 weeks. Goodluck!
Thanks for clarifying...getting old I guess the memory is going. Do they even make .001? lol