Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Getting ready for winter plowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to put a flap on the top edge of my plow to keep snow from coming over the top. Also if you can pick up a spare set of skid shoes, (heavy duty, hardened ones). I wore mine out last year before I was done plowing for the year and they were sold out of them by then!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Pro Rider

I have a warn 3000 lbs winch and the plow is a hugh black one from polaris, Ill take a look tonight and get some better info on the plow. Its all on a 2004 Sportsman 600 twin

Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 AM
Trailblazer

Another thing I know some people do is swap out the existing winch cable for a shorter one just for plowing. Extends the life of the one you need for mudding in the spring

Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by rancher55
I'm going to put a flap on the top edge of my plow to keep snow from coming over the top. Also if you can pick up a spare set of skid shoes, (heavy duty, hardened ones). I wore mine out last year before I was done plowing for the year and they were sold out of them by then!
The flap is a neccessity, unless you like looking like frosty the snowman. As far as the skids go, I use them on my plows to keep from wearng into the molboard after the cutting edge is worn out. The only time I set them lower is for gravel or rock driveways to keep from moving alot of the drives material. I would recommend using a heavy duty cutting edge AND KEEP AN EXTRA ONE AROUND. On the G2 plow the cutting edge is reversible and will last me two 100 account uses before needing flipped. The standard edge would oly get me through one strom before needing replaced. So for easy math; standard = 100 accounts ($49), heavy duty = 400 accounts ( $67.95)

Old 09-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by behindredeyes
Another thing I know some people do is swap out the existing winch cable for a shorter one just for plowing. Extends the life of the one you need for mudding in the spring
Go with synthetic cable!!! Wire cable breaks too much at -30, it happened to me last winter six times in one day. I got rid of twenty feet of cheap polaris cable on my brand new unit. now I have synthetic on all my winches.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My friend just put on a synthetic rope on his winch,there alot nicer to handle in every way.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Range Rover

Where can a guy get a HD plow blade for glacierII blade? I don't use sthe skids at home on cement b/c I like to get all the way down to clear all the snow as not to get any ice spots.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by meddy293
Where can a guy get a HD plow blade for glacierII blade? I don't use sthe skids at home on cement b/c I like to get all the way down to clear all the snow as not to get any ice spots.
The 54 G2 heavy duty edge is available at your Polaris dealer! That's exactly why I don't use the skids. Infact on my truck plow and my other plows I've taken the off completely. The only reason I've not taken them off the G2 is cause there is not much cutting edge to wear out until your ruining your plow.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Yeh, may put on a top flap too, I have synthetic on my winch, but I can see cable would not be a good thing

Any body have any pics and or info on how they made their flap (material and attachment)

Old 09-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plowing to 6" is fine

I plow with my 500. It works great up to about 6" of snow; you can feel like you are accomplishing something as you see your immediate results.

I find that you can push over 6" of snow around, but it's difficult to actually widen a driveway enough: the snow keeps falling back in to the just-plowed area!

Chains arwork great. Hand/thumb warmers are a great idea: boy the hands can get painfully cold!

When you lower the blade, the winch unwinds the cable. You have to be careful to NOT unwind the cable too much. When you raise the blade, it tightens up the cable. Repeating this process, a lot, I find, results in a broken cable! If this happens, you must untangle the cable (sometimes very difficult), and then re-attach the hook.

Prevention of this problem: 1 - try not to unwind the winch more than necessary to drop the blade, and 2 - after you are finished the job, and before the next time you want to plow, I find it helpful to unwind the cable about 20 feet or so, and attach it around a tree; then I use the winch to drag the ATV (blade down on the ground) back to the tree, while turning the steering back and forth; in order to have the cablewound correctly and snuggly on the winch.

If someone has a more-senssible way for me to prevent this problem of cable breakage, I will listen; I hate it when that happens!

Oh, one more tip: park it so that it is ready to plow! Keep the blade up a bit, so it doesn't freeze to the ground. Drop the blade and start plowing! So, you want to have it facing out, with the plow pre-positioned in the correct direction.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for winter plowing