Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy crap thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 06:15 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

RULE #1Check E bay or online before you every deal with a dealership.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
RULE #1Check E bay or online before you every deal with a dealership.
And it never fails that when you need a particular part there won't be a darn thing on Ebay. As soon as you bite the bullet and buy the part from the dealer and get your bike back you'll see dozens of the part show up on ebay.

Always seems like the case for me.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:12 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Have you tried these guys they sell every oem part yet cheaper then the dealer or Polaris's web site can.OEM motorcycle and ATV parts from Honda, Yamaha & Polaris – Cycle Parts Warehouse

An example is they want $102 for a XP850 belt while Polaris wants $125. and there is no aftermarket belt for the XP made as of yet,so it has to be the same belt.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

I was in the same boat. Bought a tranny off ebay. It works, but I'm kinda worried. Grinds a little when shifting. Looks like the polaris tranny for these quads were garbage from the start. So if you are buying a used one don't count on it lasting very long.

I got a feeling my quad will be back on CraigsList very soon. Cause I don't plan on putting another tranny on it again EVER.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Stendori VERY good find!

And at $163 plus $22 shipping how can you beat that!!LOL!

GREAT research!

CBRF1, read your owner's manual! A little grind going into gear is normal. Just like shifting a BOAT into gear. the manual tells you to shift it swiftly into gear, not slowly. This eliminates unnecessary grinding. (just like putting your boat in gear!)

Old 10-04-2009, 07:41 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by cbrf1wr
I was in the same boat. Bought a tranny off ebay. It works, but I'm kinda worried. Grinds a little when shifting. Looks like the polaris tranny for these quads were garbage from the start. So if you are buying a used one don't count on it lasting very long.

I got a feeling my quad will be back on CraigsList very soon. Cause I don't plan on putting another tranny on it again EVER.
Adjust the rod linkage to the shifter,the slightest of adjustment can make it fall into gear more smoothly. Polaris trannies like quick fast shifts to get them into gear not slow grindy ones.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Trailblazer

Already adjusted it as much as possible for both forward and reverse to still work correctly. If you research this site you see plenty of people with the same problem on these quads. Pretty much a known problem for polaris is what it looks like to me.

Good deal for them though. At about 3K+ to replace with a new one from the dealer. I would say they made out pretty good putting that piece of crap tranny in those quads.

Didn't get a dime from me though. I did it myself and like I said DO NOT plan on doing it again.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sometimes the idle being to high will make them grind while shifting as well. as far as it goes i drive truck and alot of those transmissions grind as well just going in to any gear, but that doesnt make them all junk. best thing to do is to sell your bike if not happy w/ it. imo

Old 10-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbrf1wr
Already adjusted it as much as possible for both forward and reverse to still work correctly. If you research this site you see plenty of people with the same problem on these quads. Pretty much a known problem for polaris is what it looks like to me.

Good deal for them though. At about 3K+ to replace with a new one from the dealer. I would say they made out pretty good putting that piece of crap tranny in those quads.

Didn't get a dime from me though. I did it myself and like I said DO NOT plan on doing it again.
I had a 96 425 Magnum and after 2500 hard miles I had to split the tranny and replace the silent chain.It was no big deal replaced the shift fork at that time too.All for less than $100.
Biggest problem with those is letting the shift arms (bellcranks) get loose not letting it shift in and out of gear.They strip out easy and need to be replaced when bad.
I would get on Ebay and look for ANY 94-98 400 sportsman,425 Magnum,400 Explorer,400 Xpress tranny they will all work in your 425

Quick Reply: 1996 magnum 425