Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dealer sold me the wrong CV boot!!What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer sold me the wrong CV boot!!What to do?

Hello all...I tore an inboard rear cv boot sometime back and finally went to the dealer and got a replacement...First off just let me say WHAT A PAIN IN THE ***!! I spent most of the day working on it just to find out that they sold me the wrong boot.... The boot is very soft, supple rubber and the rest of them are a harder plastic. I noticed but didn't think much of it; I just figured it was the new and improved version....Anyways, I got it all back together and the small end of the boot kept slipping up the shaft...I ended up messing with it convinced I was doing something wrong; no luck.
I finally called the dealer that I bought the boot from and he realized that they had sold me the wrong boot...He said if I brought the bike to him that he'd help me out but wasn't really clear on how....
My question is, what should I ask for/expect as compensation for all of my troubles. I WILL NOT FIGHT THE BOOT AGAIN soooo that leaves them to do the work...Is it unreasonable to ask them to fix it for free??

Sorry for the long post.....

Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they are a good dealer they will offer to replace the boot on your machine at their expense. Wouldn't hold your breath on that though and expect them to at least provide you with the right boot and either refund your $ or comp you somehow.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

I'm gonna try to push for a freebie.....30 miles to get part 30 miles back....ALL day working on it, still not fixed....Now I have to take time off work for another 30 mile trip to drop it off so 60 miles round trip TWO MORE TIMES ....ughh...
I know crap happens but dang they're killin' me!!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

I've felt your pain. Had a kid at one of the local auto parts stores I have a commercial account at sell me the wrong fuel pump for a friend's vehicle I was fixing. The two were identical except for the "small" difference that one operated at under 20psi and the other at 42psi. After dropping the tank, installing, and mucho trouble shooting I brought it back and informed him of his "small" mistake. Apologized but didn't offer me a discount and was even going to charge me the extra $ for the more expensive higher psi pump. Needless to say, he ended up unemployed and I got my pump at a very reduced price thanks to the store manager.
One thing I have done in the past on parts I buy on any kind of consistent basis is keep the receipt or packaging with the part # to avoid any problems.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I thought I had the receipt but I can't find it....I'll make 'em go back and look at the security video to prove my purchase if I have to lol!!

I do know I'll never mess with another CV boot again...To me the savings isn't great enough to offset the aggrevation....

Old 10-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider

Don't let the dealer mistake discourage you from doing the work yourself. Once you have replaced a few it will be a really quick,easy job. There's a lot of pride in ownership, IMO, being able to perform most of your own maintenance(and save a ton of $ which you'll end up spending on mods anyway).

Old 10-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Range Rover

Yeah, the first one is always the worst!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would expect them to replace the boot at thier expensive by removing and repalcing it, but that will be it if they do it. mistakes do happen and if they repalce it i would be happy(even though it cost you inthe long run)and wouldnt get any $ for your trouble. imo

Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

i would see if they would exchange