Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 Sportsman 700, where to put Contactor

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 800 Touring Winch Wiring question.

I noticed a shinny piece of metal near the top right fender well, in the front of the machine and attached to this was a rectangular box with two large booted wires going into it. It is on the Right Side as I stand in front and face the machine. It also has a multi plug with wires coming out of it and mati ng with the other half of it with wires going away. I wonder if this is what you folks are referring too?
Warn Winch Co. seems to indicate that the contactor will be installed in the rear of the machine in the storage compartment near the battery. However the battery on the 2008 Sportsman 800 Touring is in front of the engine just below the gas tank and the wire cables supplied for the installation by Warn are perfect for this short distance. I have the red and black cables going from the Contactor to the battery but not connected. The battery has the regular cables attached to the top of the battery with bolts going into the threads of the battery. However on the side and connected to the same connector are additional threaded screw or bolt holes which I am going to use for the leads to the Contactor if possible.
I originally drilled matching bolt holes in the Moose Mounting Plate and when I mounted the Contactor behind the mounting plate just over the Voltage Regulator I checked to see if the storage rack would fit - it would not. So I removed the Contactor from the back side of the Winch Mount Plate and installed it on the opposite side (front) using the same holes which worked fine. Also the electric cables from the Contactor to the winch are to long as well since the Contactor sits directly behind the winch an 1 ½” room and must be shortened as necessary?
I was thinking that the shorter the electric cables the less energy required to pass through the extra length of cable?

I checked the hot wire when the ignition key is turned on at the accessory plug on the steering column - it looks like a cigarette lighter plug in right? The wire is striped colored orange and white. When I checked it for voltage while the ignition was off there was no voltage and when I turned on the ignition I received 11.9 Volts. I attached the Warn Handle Bar Switch red wire to this and I should be in good shape and ready to begin installing the Moose Plow Bracket.

I appreciate your help in this regard.

Woods Rider

Old 10-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't have the touring model but i am assuming that it would be roughly the same as my 08' 800 which is pre wired for the winch like most of the newer ones.
ok i am feeling generous so since my bikes in the upper garage apart i went out to take some pics for you..
this is where the contacter plate is on mine(might be differnt on the touring) on the right side as sitting on the bike. the first 2 pics is the mounting plate and the 3rd is where you hook the lead wire to power the switch. notice there is both a red/white and orange together in the little pouch. this should help you figure it out now.

Attached Thumbnails 02 Sportsman 700, where to put Contactor-012.jpg   02 Sportsman 700, where to put Contactor-011.jpg   02 Sportsman 700, where to put Contactor-013.jpg  
Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Installing Warn Winch Problem

Hi Stendori:

Thank you for your generosity and kindness. I looked and to my surprise there it was as plain as day. I am still wondering how I missed that and also wonder how many other shortcuts are available that I don't know about? Do you folks have a book or manual that show these things a little more clearly than the basic Polaris Owners Manual that came with the machine?
Your picture was worth a thousand words and I appreciate your help immensely. I should have things working by tomorrow if the Lord is willing. I unboxed the frame, plow, and quick mount from Moose and it looks fairly straight forward. I will be looking to tackle that next. The picture of the orange and white wire is exactly what I used today to get the handle bar switch hooked up properly as well. Thanks again and I will keep you posted as things progress. I was interested in purchasing a front bumper and wonder if you might have any advice in that regard?
Best Regards

Sincerely Woods Rider

Old 10-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris Sportsman 800 Touring Winch Wiring question.

I am wondering if I should put boots on the wires that are prewired since they do not have boots? I have not tried to put boots on them but they do look larger than the wires Warn supplied with the Winch. I noticed that the ground bolt on the other wheel well has no boot and about 5 wires are all held by one bolt. They have no boots on them at all so I wonder if only the positive wires need boots and the ground wires seem not to need boots. Is my assumption correct in your view? Best Regards

Sincerely................Woods Rider

Old 10-19-2009, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

wow. i was way confused on what you were putting a winch and what not on. i seen the 02 700 title.

but i never put any boot covers on my winch i just sprayed battery protector on the termanils. and its been there for a bit more than a yr with no issues. i added a fuse block under my front cargo box where evrything is fused that iv added. and since were showing pics. i will also.
Name:  DSC00873.jpg
Views: 10441
Size:  219.4 KB
Name:  DSC00875.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  198.9 KB
Name:  DSC00887.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  156.0 KB
my fuse block
Name:  DSC00552.jpg
Views: 5464
Size:  117.2 KB
Name:  DSC00492.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  120.8 KB
here are the wires i used for key hot. in the white circles. there both key hot.
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2884
Size:  92.4 KB

Old 10-19-2009, 05:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

nice pics. chuck as well. i didn't take off my plastics to do any of the work i needed. if i had the boots supplied i would use them for sure as there mostly for keping metal from contacting the hot wires when powered and as chuck did, it would'nt hurt to spray the connections or use di-electric grease on them if you have it. good luck and i'm sure it will come out just fine.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Pro Rider

i took pics when i had to fix my fuel level sensor. seemed like a good time.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris Sportsman 08 800 Touring Winch Wiring question.

Hi Chuck & Stendori:

The pictures are great and very helpful. I was wondering why you change to steel rims in the winter and aluminum rims in the summer? I have aluminum rims and that is the reason for this question. I plan on plowing snow and would be interested in learning about the rims that you mentioned Chuck. Best Regards

Sincerely................Woods Rider

Old 10-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

he might just have differnt tire set up for winter?? otherwise i don't know why you would change to the heavier steel rims. people might also not want thier alum rims to corrode form salt use? personaly i would leave the alum rims on, but thats just me.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris Sportsman 08 800 Touring Winch Wiring question.

Hi Stendori:

The Warn Winch is working fine and I am now beginning to assemble the Moose plow which looks really simple since it attachés to the Polaris with just a few bolts and then it is a matter of just a few simple bolt installments bringing their already pre assembled frame and plow together.
The contactor tray along with the prewired setup on the Polaris was simple to accomplish once you pointed out to me that Polaris has set up their Sportsman models for the winch installment with the proper placement and wiring ready to be hooked up. Thanks again for your kindness in this regard. Best Regards

Sincerely............. Woods Rider

Quick Reply: 02 Sportsman 700, where to put Contactor