Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 Sportsman 700, where to put Contactor

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods Rider
Hi Chuck & Stendori:

The pictures are great and very helpful. I was wondering why you change to steel rims in the winter and aluminum rims in the summer? I have aluminum rims and that is the reason for this question. I plan on plowing snow and would be interested in learning about the rims that you mentioned Chuck. Best Regards

Sincerely................Woods Rider
i change to steel rims in winter cuz of the road salt. stendori is correct. i do snow plowing with my wheeler in the winter for extra cash. i made some cash last winter. but i didnt get rich off of it. it gave me something to do since i lost my job in nov/08. but i trailer my wheeler a half hr to plow driveways. and i dont want the salt to eat away at my alum rims. it has already started to corrode the alum housing of the tranny and the hubs. its not bad but it has started.

i also dont like the pxt tires. if i were to do it over again id get pxt tires for winter and the 489s for summer.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris Sportsman 08 800 Touring Winch Wiring question.

Hi Chuck:

Thanks for the information on your rims and tires. I was reading about folks putting stop blocks on their winch cable just behind the cable hook to stop the cable hook from over traveling while plowing snow and wondered if this is a problem and will I needed to purchase a stop block to prevent the over travel? Have you had problems with over travel or damage to your fairlead or do you use a stop block? Best Regards

Sincerely................Woods Rider

Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

if your careful you wont need it. but there like $15 on ebay if you want one. i got one but dont use it for plowing. the first thing id sudgest getting is a 9' synthetic rope for your winch. and replace the oem cable. as the vary small area you use on your winch cable while useing the plow will wreck your winch cable in one winter if you use it a fair amount. what the wire winch cable will do is start to fray the cable, and slowly brake small wires at a time. also plowing will make that section of the cable start to curl. youw will also see a bit of wear on the winch fair lead rollers. i also use a sping on my plow so the plow will only go so far up without wreaking the push tube, and or other things. but one i see the plow stop, i stop lifing the plow. but ill see how well the syn cable holds up. iv heard good things about the syn rope. i can add pics of my plow in the morn. homemade by me i may add.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

make sure if your going to use your wheeler to plow with that you keep a battery tender/charger on after you get down plowing as it helps the life of the battery. when using your winch, you are working strickly off the battery and the charging system gets a work out as well. imo