Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 Sportsman 700, where to put Contactor

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Sportsman 700, where to put Contactor

I have a somewhat new to me Sportsman 700 that I am installing a winch on. I was hoping to get some experience on where you guys are installing the contactor. Most kits say and include wiring to put the contactor as close to the battery (under seat) as possible. There is not much room under there, I was thinking maybe up under the hood in front. Any experience would be helpfull.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

The closer to the battery is the best place not down by the winch where water can get to it. I had my winch installed by the dealer and I have to relocate the solenoid switch. I cant help out on where to install yours but hope this helps somewhat!

Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mine in the (tool compartment)rear storage box.Silconed up where the wires came out of box real close to battery.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

I too put mine in the rear storage. Fastend it too the back wall of the compartment and had the wires exit the top of the compartment under the back of the seat. From there it's close to the battery and it has never seen an ouce of water.
I did need to use some long extentions on my drill to bolt it in place.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

on my 2000 sportsman i put the contractor under the front hood. right on the frame. it was there for 3yrs and no issues. if the contractor is sealed right you wont have an issue, and the wire guage is correct you wont have no issues either.

on my 08 500 i put it in the factory spot made for the contractor. under the right front fender behind the tire. polaris evon ran power wires for it, and had a plate made for it with holes and all. easy install on the 05+ yrs.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it doesn't matter if these get wet or not and there isn;t really a set rule where to put them. i've installed at leaste a dozen or so of winches and never had any issues w/ any of them not working on where i put them. most of the time i try to mount them up on the top rail of the frame under the fender area if its not the sportsman's w/ the prewired set up. which by the way is NO WHERE near the battery so it does not have to be right by the battery. imo

Old 10-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

This is what I experienced from running to solenoid near the winch IN 2002. After running though road ponds for a few years I went to use the winch.Contactor stuck and winch stuck pulling in no it didn't trip fuse till I removed the battery neg post wire. All the wires from the winch motor to the battery fried along with some oem wiring.I agree mount this solenoid high and close to the battery as possible.I opened the solenoid and found rust,stuck contactor. So I will mount mine high and change it out as a regular maintenance item cheap insurance IMO.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Installing Warn Winch Problem

Hi stendori:

I have purchased a Moose Plow and winch mounting plate along with a Warn RT25 Winch and have installed everything including the contactor but I am having problems with the red wire that I am suppose to splice into so that the winch will not work unless the key is turn on at the ignition.
I need help locating the red wire that Warn calls for and says that I need it to be showing no voltage when the ignition key is turned off but shows voltage when the ignition is turned on.
Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Also I noticed that you mentioned that the Sportsman come prewired for winches - I did not know this and wonder if my Sportsman has the prewiring that you refer to?

Sincerely. Woods Rider

Old 10-18-2009, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

they didnt pre wire tell 2005/06 for the winch.

as for the wire to power the winch for a 12v key power sorce. use the power wire from the cig plug (12v outlet on the headlight pod.)

Old 10-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i answered your PM you sent for all questions. chuck, he has an 08' touring.

Quick Reply: 02 Sportsman 700, where to put Contactor