Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

here is a nuther sp700 rumor for ya!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can’t verify the 700 twin rumor but I can say with some certainty that we’ll see an electronically controlled CVT clutch from Polaris fairly soon. The head wrench at my primary Polaris dealer was “briefed” on it late last summer at a factory training seminar. He was told that soon they wouldn’t be able to work on these machines without a laptop.

There are those who will see this as an exciting development and those who will hate the idea. You can do some things better mechanically than you can electrically and visa versa. It will probably work very well, right up until it stops working. The environments we ride in are very unfriendly to electronic components. I’d look for the final product to be some compromise between mechanical and electrical, probably with the mechanical portion being a redundant back-up system.

Old 02-24-2001, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

wonder how they would make the PVT electronic?? why dont they just put a roller clutch on it?
will this mean that there are circut chips in the clutch?? i never thought that the regular PVT was all that bad.

later
jon

Old 02-24-2001, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Compare the ability of springs and weights to a computer chip. It’s like comparing the wheel to a jet airplane in terms of complexity and potential. I can’t say which is the better tool for the job because I’m not an engineer and I’m not privy to the test results. But theoretically an electronic chip has the potential to offer infinite flexibility in clutch control over the entire range of torque, load and power band conditions, whereas springs and weights offer only very limited “best of” solutions.

Electronic controls have been used increasingly in vehicle applications over the last 30 years and have proven themselves to be every bit as reliable as mechanical systems, if done right. There’s no denying that with complexity can come a reduction in reliably but I don’t see any reason to fear this “upgrade.” Let’s just hope Polaris doesn’t end up giving us a reason to fear it. Just like EFI this has the potential to offer more power more efficiently. Instead of offering us roller clutches, springs and weights, in the future aftermarket companies may be offering us performance clutch chips. Who knows, it may even be possible to tune a clutch to eliminate the need for low range. If not, I want a SHIFT-ON-THE-FLY SYSTEM!

Oops, sorry, got carried away for a moment.

Old 02-24-2001, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

thanks floodrunner,

i am assuming that this is new technology for polaris, i dont think they have used this on there sleds before. sounds like it could make the PVT even better.

later
jon

Old 02-25-2001, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

well, it is certian that polaris will eventually introduce a bigger machine, tehy arent going to use the sp500ho forever, it just isnt their style. just looking at the way polaris works you can assume they are going to do something big soon. well, anyway, when they introduce the new powerhouse, they may need a tranny that can handle more power. so maby they test it on a low powered machine to get the characteristics of it down and then beef it up. who knows! these are exiting times!

Old 02-25-2001, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris will have to start getting transmissions and engines from small Tractors, because of the power they will need. Soon you'll need a ladder to get on ATV's...LOL

Old 02-25-2001, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

ya that is kinda a problem when u put a high hp and high torque engine in a quad. u have to make sure the powertrain, including the CV joints, can handle all that power.

has anybody seen a 50hp tractor?? they are HUGE, of corse they have lots more torque since most of them are diesels.

later
jon