Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OK Old Pros, I need some serious diagnosis!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001 | 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

I posted before but it seems that it did not make it to the post. Maybe it was a rev-limiter problem do to a parking brake or wet/dirty sensor.

Old 03-06-2001 | 07:28 PM
Range Rover

A regular timing light will work. Be sure to check a manual to see how to check the timing properly. If you havent messed with the timing previously, than it should be OK.

Old 03-06-2001 | 07:47 PM
Range Rover

I have sat here baffled by your problem until now. I am pretty sure I have it figured out. About six months after I bought my 1999 Magnum I had the same or similar problem and I thought it was a motor problem too. I took my quad back to the dealer three times before we figured it out. I dont know why I forgot about this. Especially since your symptoms are so much the same. We tried changing the main jet, didnt work. Checked and changed the spark plug, didnt work. Changed the belt, didnt work. So, let me describe my symtoms to make sure yours are the same.

Start it up, revs fine in nuetral.
Put in gear, bogs down and cant get out of its own way.
After a little riding, seems ok.
Sometimes stop on a hill, bogs in High range.

If your symptoms seem to be very similar, here is what was wrong with mine. I asked the dealer to check the clutch the first time I took it to them and they said it was ok. The third time I took it back, I asked them to check the clutch again. They test drove it while I was there and decided that something was wrong with the clutch. They called me back that day and told me that the bushings in my secondary clutch were destroyed, causing the secondary clutch to SHIFT OUT too soon. They installed a new secondary clutch and it has ran great ever since. I thought for sure it was a motor problem too, but it wasnt. If this isnt your problem, then I am still baffled. But I highly recommend you check the secondary clutch, you may be surprised to find out that this is your problem. Hope this helps!

Old 03-11-2001 | 07:36 PM
Range Rover

I was wondering if you figured it out yet? Please let us all know!

Old 03-17-2001 | 09:41 PM
|
Range Rover

This is starting to P!SS me OFF!!

We went riding Saturday and everything was fine. Rode all day. Stopped by my in-laws to light a brush fire for a little while...when we got ready to leave...IT WOULDN'T START! It'd turn over fine, but never start. Pulled the plug...nice color....but no spark. I haven't had time to fool with it, but there's a guy I'm gonna take it to that's supposed to be great on Polaris'. I'll post back when I find out more. I'm very frustrated.

Old 03-19-2001 | 10:11 PM
|
Range Rover

I FOUND IT! I FOUND IT!!

I FINALLY found out what my problem has been! A broken wire in the group coming out of the grommet in the stator housing.
I carried it to another mechanic tonite..told him my story...and he started working on it right then. He's not one to say much, so I was having to do all the talking. I told him I had a problem a few years back that seemed to lead to these wires, but it went away ( I thought ).
I told him I had tried the plug (new), and wasn't getting any fire. He put a spark-testing tool on it, and it blew a big, pretty, blue spark! I said there's no way I was mistaken the other day...so I reached down and touched the wiring harness going into the stator, and BLAM....went dead. Wiggled the wires...cranked right up....touch the wiring again....go dead.
So, now I know where the problem lies. I just have to figure out how I'm gonna fix it. Can you buy just the wiring from the stator, or is it permanently connected inside? I don't have time tonite to fool with it, but I'll start tomorrow after work.

I would like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions. I have learned alot....things to look for in the future. I'm glad to see you can still get something useful out of this forum other than a quad bashing.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2001 | 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

i just looked in the Service manual And it dosent look like you can replace the wires. Just solder them together, and use silicone and heat shrink tubing you will be fine, put the silicon on the connection then the tubing over the silicon and shrink it works great.

Old 03-20-2001 | 10:23 PM
|
Range Rover

Here's a photo of the culprit. I think I'll do what you said, Dazed, and try to patch it myself...it's worth a shot.
Broken Pulse Wire

Old 03-21-2001 | 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

You may need to cut the grommet but use silicone to seal it up or urathane like in the windshield of your car. But use silicone to seal the wire and the heat shrink tubing it will water proff it And give it some extra strength.

Old 03-21-2001 | 10:16 PM
|
Range Rover

I repaired the wire tonite. I pulled the wire out of the grommet, ran a new piece back thru, then soldered both ends. I got the cover back on and started it.....cranked better than it has in years!!
Now I'm gonna tackle that noisy fan! I saw where someone had mentioned an automotive replacement...does anyone have part numbers? You know the local dicount auto can't find jack without a number.

Quick Reply: OK Old Pros, I need some serious diagnosis!