Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Secondary Clutch Spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EPIChad
Yes the EPI Pink will raise top rpms. The EPI Bright green part # PATV7 will keep the top rpms closer to stock but will raise initial engagement up a few hundred rpms. The closest to the oe black secondary in EPI springs would be the PDS-6 purple secondary spring. Its a little stiffer then stock.
These 325/330s need more rpms on top but not the higher engagement plus more backshift.
I have tried your purple secondary and for my liking it isnt stiff enough.I really like the results with the Aaen blue better than most springs I have tried.I have some sort of yellow secondary in my 400 Sportsman it is the same diameter of wire as Aaen but a shade longer.It works great too.Just dont know what it is or who made it.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EPI use to sell a yellow secondary spring, PDS-3 , that was very popular both in atv and snowmobiles. I dont remember any other companies having a yellow but obivously cant remember them all (sometimes i have a hard time remembering what i did yesterday , i think its that getting older thing). The purple spring is pretty much the same same spring and a direct replacement for the yellow.

The orange PDS-2 is the next stiffer spring if you are looking for a stiffer spring with a stiffer rate. The compression numbers are close to the purple but it is has a stiffer shift rate to it.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

May try one of those some time if I can score one cheap.
I run a TEAM roller in my Scrambler and have it dialed in where I like it.
But I could try one in my 400 Sportsman

Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

Hey do you what the parts number of the pink primary and the Aaen Blue spring is?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

EPI pink primary for polaris is part # PATV8

Old 10-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Quad Patrol

I found the pink to be a little much on the Sportsmans would try either the EPI red or Polaris white.Gives a little more stall speed and doesnt shift out as high

Old 10-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

ftwflh

I found the pink to be a little much on the Sportsmans would try either the EPI red or Polaris white.Gives a little more stall speed and doesnt shift out as high

Yes I agree.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I want to thank everyone for their help. The old Magnum is back on the road. I had forgotten how well it pulled, I was so use to the slipping. It runs so well I think I will keep it another 9 years. I have changed all the u-joints, changed all the fluids, replaced the brake pads and now rebuilt the clutch. It almost as good as new. The body is good, no busted plastic just some scratches, the seat has no tears and the racks are good. Who needs a new one. The only things left are a possible top end rebuild, I have a little rattle. I adjusted the valves thinking it was the rattle but it wasn't. The only other problem is when you put it in reverse it dies, you have to hold the override button at all times. Any ideas on that problem. But thanks again for the clutch help.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Banned

Hi EPIChad,

Does your company make a performance clutch spring for the Sportsman 850XP? I remember installing the 'Black' spring on my 03 Prairie 650 and it made a big difference in low end grunt. I'd like to do the same with my current machine.

I'm running stock size tires, and plan on replacing those tires with an aftermarket, but still retaining the same 26" tire.

Thank you for you input.

Pete

Old 11-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by bronc
I want to thank everyone for their help. The old Magnum is back on the road. I had forgotten how well it pulled, I was so use to the slipping. It runs so well I think I will keep it another 9 years. I have changed all the u-joints, changed all the fluids, replaced the brake pads and now rebuilt the clutch. It almost as good as new. The body is good, no busted plastic just some scratches, the seat has no tears and the racks are good. Who needs a new one. The only things left are a possible top end rebuild, I have a little rattle. I adjusted the valves thinking it was the rattle but it wasn't. The only other problem is when you put it in reverse it dies, you have to hold the override button at all times. Any ideas on that problem. But thanks again for the clutch help.
Drop me a pm and I will tell you how to fix the reverse problem

Quick Reply: Secondary Clutch Spring