Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1st impressions and missing brake on 2010 xp's?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009 | 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

As far as the frame goes, it has been one of the hallmark's of the Sportsman line.
It is stronger than any other atv frame on the market.
As far as the cheaper plastic's on the 2010's I think the goal is to cut the weight as much as possible,as well as cutting costs.
I'm glad I bought the 2009 "first year model" though!

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:10 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I feel a little better about it now... The "four wheel disks" was one of the things I really liked about the xp's. The tranny mounted single rear brake on my 99 Sportsman has always been poor and a "WTF were they thinking" issue to me. It had very poor feel, squeaked like crazy when new and now, no longer works... So you can understand why I was all excited to see true four wheel disks....

The tapped mounting holes are there in the hub to mount the left brake components... Wonder how the line would "T" off to get to that Caliper? I don't know, probably be a waste of $ to add the brake....

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:27 PM
|
Trailblazer

When I started this process, I had my sights set on the Outty, but then learned about the frame issue. On top of that, Outty's lack of customer support with it. Three year warranty, hughhhh, yeah right... I just don't get it though. As I was looking it over this weekend, everything looked very top notch and built tough! So why have a POS frame that holds it all together (or doesn't hold it all together...). When I ride, I ride hard. I want a tough machine that will stand up to the abuse I'll give it. My old Sportsman has stood up to that test. So I guess I need to stick with the tried and true... If all those other guys tore it up, I'm sure I'll have the same problems. I can't be worried every time I ride the thing... I'm not so sure about the frame mod either. I'm sure it will make it better, but not as good as the PoPo. Plus, why the hell should I spend $12k on the machine and have to mod it in such a big way. I'm not racing the thing and I've been down that road...

That Outty Max LTD sure "looks" nice though... Dam shame!

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RickB
Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I feel a little better about it now... The "four wheel disks" was one of the things I really liked about the xp's. The tranny mounted single rear brake on my 99 Sportsman has always been poor and a "WTF were they thinking" issue to me. It had very poor feel, squeaked like crazy when new and now, no longer works... So you can understand why I was all excited to see true four wheel disks....

The tapped mounting holes are there in the hub to mount the left brake components... Wonder how the line would "T" off to get to that Caliper? I don't know, probably be a waste of $ to add the brake....
If you really wanted 4 I bet you could buy the parts for a 2009,Left Caliper pads,mouting hardware ect..and it looks like the rear brake lines and T come as an assembly...Part number 1911298.

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:35 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks HO.
I'll look into that. If noth'n else, just to see how much it'll cost...

Old 10-26-2009 | 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

FWIW, the newer brakes are far superior to the older ones. Many of my Polaris's in the past had problems with the rear brake and actually never even worked. I'm sure others can attest to that also. The rear brakes on the XP seem to work very good so far. Most of the braking goes to the front anyhow when using the lever. I miss the two separate brake levers from my Kawi's. That system is by far superior, IMO.

Old 10-26-2009 | 02:28 PM
|
Trailblazer

Yeah, I defiantly agree with ya Roof on the separate controls for F/R brakes. That would be the way to go!

So, you think I'm making a bigger deal out of the 2010's rear brakes than it really is?...

Still seems pretty cheesy to put a disc on only one wheel though....

I was just hopping to come away from the dealer loving everything about the XP-ESP the way I did back in "99 with my Sportsman.

I don't know... It's still pretty awesome!

Old 10-26-2009 | 02:55 PM
Trailblazer

I wouldn't worry about it. I was in the same situation, but had already bought the machine. I was looking at getting an '09 before my local dealer sold out and decided on the 2010. I assumed the braking system was the same and didn't notice until the night I got it home in the garage. Needless to say I was pissed off thinking they missed a rear brake assembly. I saw the pics on the web and noticed two rear brakes and just assumed. It makes no difference in braking power from my impressions of about 10hrs of hard driving. Get the bike, it's an awesome machine.

Old 10-26-2009 | 02:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

RickB,

When I went to pick up my new '09 Sportsman 500 EFI last Saturday I had a chance to sit on the new '10 850 with EPS. When you looked at them did the sales person do the "kick the front tire" test?

If not, here's a really cool test that showes how FANTASTIC the power steering features is.

You sit on the ATV with the key OFF. Have someone kick the side of the front tire a few times while you are holding on to the handle bars. You feel the feedback through your arms/hands/ect. Right?

Now turn the key ON and repeat the process. Wolla!! You'll be sold on Power Steering baby!!LOL!

Also, be happy with the '10 over the '09. Don't the '09's have a rear-end recall for the rear-end clicking issues?

Later

Old 10-26-2009 | 03:01 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks guys. I do feel better about it...

Quick Reply: 1st impressions and missing brake on 2010 xp's?...