Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1st impressions and missing brake on 2010 xp's?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009 | 09:05 AM
|
Trailblazer
Exclamation 1st impressions and missing brake on 2010 xp's?...

Researching out an ATV to replace my trusty 99 Sportsman 500 and I'm pretty sure it'll be the 850 ESP. We went to the dealer this weekend to look at them. He had four on the floor for us to check out. I hate to say it, but I'm a little disappointed. The main thing was the missing left rear brake rotor and caliper.... At 1st I thought it was a mistake in assembly, but all four 850's (and the three 550's) were missing it. What gives? Every picture of the XP's on the Polaris website and in the brochure show a left rear rotor visible through the wheel.... The sales girl said it was a change for 2010, but when I questioned more she didn't have anything else to add. That seems pretty cheesy...

Another thing cheesey was the thin plastic lower front that ties the bumper down to the frame. On the 09's that part was silver painted metal. That area needs to be tough for running down small trees and brush...

When sitting on it, the thing feels very wide. I guess it's the width of the fenders and the floor boards. Hopefully it will feel better with some seat time out on the trail, but sitting on it in the show room didn't impress me. They brag about the wide floor boards, but I'd like to see them narrower. If nothing else, they'd catch less mud and look a lot better...

Guess I'm looking for a little reassurance from you all and any info on the missing rear brake. I figured I'd go look this weekend and leave in lust with the 850, but I'm just not feeling it! The other problem is, those dam Outlanders looked awesome, but I'm very, very scared of the frame!

Old 10-26-2009 | 09:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Since the two real wheels are lock (Unless you have ADC) one brake will always lock up both back wheels.

Polaris is know for un-improving, smaller gas tanks every year, change from aluminum alloy oil tanks to cheap plastic one, single Hilliary with the exploding plastic roller cage, vs it older twin hub Hilliary's, make the speedo part of the AWD system. EBS not standard on 500 H.Os any longer and so on.

I think Can AM worked out its weak frame thing now.

Old 10-26-2009 | 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Yep the 2009 850s had 2 rear brake calipers,the 2009 550's only had one..
The 2010 850s and 550s only have 1...
I didn't realize the front bash plate(fangs,they actually list them as fangs in the parts fiche lol) was plastic,didn't look that close at the 2010...but the Steel ones on the '09s were thin and easily dented..so the plastic may actually be tougher...
A set of GURU bumpers will solve that if you tend to hit things in that area...they extend all the way down and have the same lines as the fangs,so you can actually take the fangs off...well you could on the 09's...not for sure how the plastic set up is on the 2010s...the fangs on the Guru's bumpers are pretty heavy steel,alot heavier than the stock fangs on the 09s.

Old 10-26-2009 | 09:40 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Since the two real wheels are lock (Unless you have ADC) one brake will always lock up both back wheels.

Polaris is know for un-improving, smaller gas tanks every year, change from aluminum alloy oil tanks to cheap plastic one, single Hilliary with the exploding plastic roller cage, vs it older twin hub Hilliary's, make the speedo part of the AWD system. EBS not standard on 500 H.Os any longer and so on.

I think you meant turf mode instead of ADC?
Yes the one rear brake will act on both rear wheels....but one caliper can't brake as strongly as 2( if the calipers are the same as the 2009s)...I assumed they put 2 on the rear of the 09 850 for a couple of reasons...it is faster and heavier than the 550...unless the single caliper on the 2010s is more robust it really doesn't make alot of sense to go back to 1...IMO But at the same time....4 may be overkill...the 2009 850 I had would stop on dime....brake were AWESOME!

Edit-I looked up the caliper..the 2010 has a different part number than the 2009 850,but is the same as the 2009 550 and uses the same brake pads as the 2009 850..so I doubt it is more robust...looks like a cost saving measure.

Nah...they might have made a few improvements...but it is still pretty much the same frame..
Here is my thoughts on the Can-Am frame...
The frames don't just bend on their own...are they as robust as a Polaris frame? hell no,not even close...
But IMO the frame will only bend in certain situations,1) if you don't protect the lower spar with full skids and it gets dented up...it will become much weaker. 2) If you crash into something with a wheel,ie hit a tree,another machine ect or roll it end over end landing on a single wheel ect..
3) Some have been tweaked after landing a jump under power,usually when one rear wheel hits before the other...
Bottom line you need a set of skids and insurance. There is also a simple mod that will make the frame much stronger for less than $50 in materials (tubular steel or alum inserted in the lower spar).

Basically I put on a set of skids and have full coverage(which I always carry on a new ATV anyway)...I don't see me bending the frame unless I hit a tree or something,in any case I don't worry about it or shy away from anything because I am worried about the frame....if it bends I'll file on insurance...

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC

Not everyone wants EBS my 08 does not have it dealer offered to install it and I said keep away . Where I ride one don't need it and I like free wheeling thus no EBS every for this guy .

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't had the pleasure of riding an 09 XP I can tell you that there is no need for braking on the rear when I ride my 2010 XP.I thought it looked cheesy too the owner manual says the rear brake is to be used only if the hand control brake fails or on a hill. Hey never know it could be an excellent turning brake though! Go buy it you wont be disappointed.

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

The one brake caliper instead of two and the plastic fangs are just cost savings if you ask me. Even the lock&ride pins have plastic latches now. They must have someone hired to cut costs. I bent the fangs on mine almost right away, but it's a decent bash plate for anything I'm willing to run over with my atv.
I wouldn't worry about the single brake caliper in the rear. The 550 is almost exactly the same and it seems to be doing fine. The older sportsmans, same situation. Really don't understand why they put two on the 850 to begin with.

As for the CanAm, I haven't seen a bent frame yet, but also haven't seen many CanAm's on the trails. If you look at the undercarriage of an outlander, it's easily seen that it is a sport quad with racks and 4x4 mode. The Sportsmans definitely appear to be more on the rugged side and more useable in more situations.

Personally I love the wider floorboards of the XP. Gives much more room for bigger muddy or snowy boots, especially with the gun scabbard mounted. When in my pickup, I can set a full 6 gallon fuel tank in the footwell also. The Polaris really does have a lot of nice little advantages for the right person and/or situation.

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by gaspumpcity
I haven't had the pleasure of riding an 09 XP I can tell you that there is no need for braking on the rear when I ride my 2010 XP.I thought it looked cheesy too the owner manual says the rear brake is to be used only if the hand control brake fails or on a hill. Hey never know it could be an excellent turning brake though! Go buy it you wont be disappointed.
The brake lever operates both the front and rear calipers...the foot pedal is rear only...so when you use the lever you are using both front and rear brakes..

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

OIC ! Hey why cant you answer my question that I pm you on swaybar?

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by gaspumpcity
OIC ! Hey why cant you answer my question that I pm you on swaybar?
I thought I replied to that PM...I don't know of anyone that makes one right off hand....sorry.

Quick Reply: 1st impressions and missing brake on 2010 xp's?...