Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why should I buy a Sportsman X2

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt be one bit suprised to see a LIMITED EDITION release of the 850 X2. IMO they dropped the ball by not coming out with it right away. They have the 850 touring, why not the X2???

Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by nmhuntr
I am looking for reasons why you bought your Sportsman X2 over the Outlander. I am looking at used units 2006 or newer.

What size would you recommend?
What is your favorite feature?
What do you like least?

Thanks for any feedback
The main reason not to go Outlander was due to having no dealers nearby. I still had to drive 45 miles for my nearest Polaris dealer. I wanted the X2 cause it was a 2-up (wife) w/ a dump box (used mainly for my hunting). I'm fine w/ the 700. My favorite feature might have to be the ADC. Works great. I don't think I have a least. I guess it would be the MPG. But thats just due to having so much fun.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

I like the X2's long wheelbase (smoother, more controllable ride under load) and the quickly convertible 2nd seat setup (for my wife). The 500 EFI has PLENTY of power for the way we ride. IMHO adults who ride a lot 2-up (which means people who don't jump over whoops and ride like high schoolers) don't need 70hp. My 40hp 500 EFI will EASILY pull my wife and I up anything I will ever attempt to climb, and will do it smoothly, quietly, and safely. I also like the ADC--gives us a very nice feeling of total control on steep downhills. Especially I like the 2x4 "Turf Mode", because I use the X2 for jobs around my acreage and don't like tearing up my turf--it works as advertised.

For us, more power would just equate to wasted fuel and a goosier throttle. I like the smooth and controllable power band of the 500 X2, and I also really like the easy starting and high-altitude capability that comes with EFI. I live at 1300 feet, and I hate messing with having to change jets back and forth just to occasionally ride in the New Mexico mountains at 12,000 feet. My dealer handles only Polaris and AC, so I didn't try the Can-AMs (do they even make a 2-up?) but I did try Arctic Cat's 2-up and an 850 Touring. The AC was not as well built IMO (plus it was a 400 and the ugliest green I've ever seen), and neither my wife or I liked the lack of storage/carrying capacity of the seat setup on the Touring, so the 500 X2 came out on top for us, even for the $1000 more it cost. Maybe to some younger riders it's the equivalent of a Buick sedan instead of a Corvette (we're old and retired), but for us the 500 X2 was perfect. To each his own, and good luck!!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Picker77, I've wondered how the 500EFI pulls in the higher elevations. Up here in New England you might get up around 6000 ft. if you do one of the Auto Road rides they have on Mt. Washington in NH. I remember feeling like my truck had 6 cylinders instead of 8 when we drove over Wolf Pass in Colorado on a road trip. Do you see a similar effect when in the Mountains of NM?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

Moose, this 500 X2 is still not fully broken in and so far has only been to 7500 ft once, and I didn't notice any difference at all--but of course it hasn't been heavily loaded or ridden hard at altitude yet. This coming summer it will get a workout up around Red River, NM, and some of the trails there easily top 11-12,000 ft. However, I have to admit my sister and her husband ride carbureted Hondas at those altitudes and they have no problems. But I think he keeps them jetted for thin air all the time. I wanted EFI to avoid having to mess with jets, plus I believe EFI machines start easier when cold (maybe all in my head).

I certainly noticed a WORLD of difference pulling an 11,000# 5th wheel with a Duramax in Colorado/NM compared to my previous gas powered truck, though. This 2500HD doesn't seem to much care how high it is when it's pulling a load, it just keeps on chugging. Like you, I've noticed that gas powered trucks seem to run out of breath above 8000 ft. Sort of like me.

If Polaris made a diesel X2 I'd have probably looked hard at buying one, I love small diesel engines. Far as I know nobody makes a non-side by side diesel, and I think Kubota makes the only available UTV in diesel.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Arctic Cat does make a diesel quad. And, yes, the EFI is tons easier to start in cold weather. I have a regular carb. in the ATP 500 and it is not hard to start but can be a little long warming up. And, yes, I too found myself wheezing when at Yellowstone National Park walking around. I was up around 8,000 ft. at the time.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

I just got back from an elk hunt in September and it performed great at 11,600 feet. You guys made some great points for going with the X2. I know I made the right choice for me. No elk. Hunter went missing the weekend before. Got some pics though.

Top of Elk Mountain (11,661) east of Tererro off of Hwy 63.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Trailblazer

Nice spike camp, Tankhead! Sorry the elk didn't cooperate. I sure wish I was there instead of here right now.

What kind of rubber did you put on it? Also curious about the pressure you ran in the tires while up high. I have ordered a 4-gal Rotopax with locking mount to drop on the front of mine, it should be here soon, 10 gallons total should get me where I need to go and back. Rotopax seems to have the right idea for aux tanks, although they are pricey. My X2 will go deer hunting at a lofty 1300 feet pretty soon--I'll have to wait for summer to take it up high for a two-person trail workout in really thin air.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Tankhead, how do you like the Lil Mule rack for the X2?

Old 11-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by picker77
Nice spike camp, Tankhead! Sorry the elk didn't cooperate. I sure wish I was there instead of here right now.

What kind of rubber did you put on it? Also curious about the pressure you ran in the tires while up high. I have ordered a 4-gal Rotopax with locking mount to drop on the front of mine, it should be here soon, 10 gallons total should get me where I need to go and back. Rotopax seems to have the right idea for aux tanks, although they are pricey. My X2 will go deer hunting at a lofty 1300 feet pretty soon--I'll have to wait for summer to take it up high for a two-person trail workout in really thin air.
Ya, I wish I could have stayed longer too. Only 4 nights. Had to cut it short with the hunter who went missing 1/4 mile from where I camped. Here's a link to a thread for seeking info on hunting that area BigGameHunt.net Hunting Forums :: View topic - NM Unit 45 for Elk. I've never used backup. This was my first time getting picked for an elk hunt though. But, I've remedied that w/ a new 4" Ruger Redhawk 44 mag.

I put some 589's almost a year ago. I got 6 lbs in em. I thought I would lose a lot more power at that altutude than I did. I'm not all that keen to an engine's performance but I didn't notice any ill effects. I had calculated a little more than half ton of gear. Now if I can score me another elk tag next year. But, for this year I still have deer bow in January and barbary sheep rifle in February. I'm not familiar w/ Rotopax. I'll check em out later.

Quick Reply: Why should I buy a Sportsman X2