Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why should I buy a Sportsman X2

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why should I buy a Sportsman X2

I am looking for reasons why you bought your Sportsman X2 over the Outlander. I am looking at used units 2006 or newer.

What size would you recommend?
What is your favorite feature?
What do you like least?

Thanks for any feedback

Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

CanAm doesn't offer a comparable product to the X2.

I would go 800 or wait for the 850.

Only problem I have seen with the longer wheelbase machines is that they get hung up easier.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with Roofer on that one. I personally would go with the 800 too.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

from what ihave heard, the x2 has a better ride. don't know for myself. heard some of the outlanders had frame cracking as well.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Trailblazer

If you have to do any fixing replacement parts for Can am are alot more in most cases, do a online check at babbits for comparable parts.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

NMHuntr, I have a 2006 X2 with the 500 EFI. It's got great power. Not going to win races with the big bores but plenty of speed and tourque for me. If they had the 700 or 800 when I bought mine I may have spent the extra couple hundred for them but I don't have any regrets. It's done everything I've asked it to including pulling an industrial sized wood chipper up a grassy hill when our trucks couldn't get enough traction. If I lived in high mountains where you lose a lot of power to elevation I would think the big bores are a better way to go. Even with a comfortable ride, there is not other ATV on the market that has a 400 lb. rated rear. The dump bed/2-up seat is versatile. I ride mostly 1-up but the seat is good enough for a passenger all day. I bought a small pad and only one person has complained about the ride and wanted the pad. The dump bed itself is really nice in that the walls help keep things in the rear rather than on the rear. I built a wooden box to add on to the dump bed walls and carry firewood to our deck in the wintertime. Beats a wheelbarrow big time. I looked at CanAms (BRP at the time) and ArcticCats. The reasons I went with the X2 is the front storage under the rack. I have tons of stuff in there. I also like the 6 gallon tank on the X2. I get about 20 mpg so the big tank gives me around 100+ miles in mixed riding. And the dump box is cool. Arctic Cat and CanAm both have dump boxes you can buy, but you must put one or the other on the quad. You either have the dump box or the rack or the second seat. With the X2, you have it right there as needed. The only drawback with the X2 is that it will scrape an obstacle that a 1-up machine just makes it over. It's got a steel skid plate that works very well. But, it is tons more stable going up and down steep hills. My rear brake cylinder that is activated by the foot pedal on the right footwell is frozen, but it doesn't effect the brakes so I haven't bothered fixing it. I find the single handle braking to be powerful enough. After, 2006 they came out with the ADC system that brakes all four wheels. I get by with the rear only EBS but you may want to go with the ADC as I hear good comments about it.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Range Rover
Default Moose I could not put it better

Moose I could not put it better….. At seems we post on the same topics related to the X2. I have the 700 with ADC and love it. With this being close to 900 lbs ADC is a must in the hills with mixed ground conditions. I to added a skid plate and also added a 2” lift at a cost of under $100.00 and it made a world of difference, and did not affect the ride at all. I have not driven a 500X2 but I can tell you 700 is all I need. My wife rides 70% of the time with me and has never complained. Oh wrong I had to add the rear step lifts because she is only 5-4 and her feet would not reach the floorboard comfortably. GO FOR THE X2 YOU WILL NOT BE DIAPOINTED!!!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

I just put money down on a new X2 after test driving a Can-Am Outlander Max 800. The Max ride was horrid compared to the Polaris. Harsh, jerky, and unforgiving. I suppose that would mean it would be a great sport/recreation style ATV....but not very comfortable. The utility and superior ride of the Polaris X2 is what sold me. Yes, if you like 'flash' the Can-Am has it....in an asian styling sort of way. The Polaris has a more rugged utility/military look about it. Go to a dealer and test drive both models similar to what you are considering......then you will have a better idea if the Polaris ride is what you are looking for. Of course if you like high speed the Can-Ams are great....but I've not heard a single person complain about the 500X2 not having enough power (including every single online review of them, even when riding two-up).

Old 10-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

As a previous owner of a '08 X2 500 I would have to say that Polaris hit the nail on the head with this model.

Only bad thing I could possibly say is that mine had many rattles- the plastic rattled all over the place. Only at a certain RPM though.

The 6 gal tank was a VERY nice feature! VERY disappointed to read the 2010 X2 550 ONLY has a 4Gal tank! UNBELIEVABLE!! WHY would Popo do that!

Personally I feel the 2010 550 list price is way too high. I think mine was in the mid to upper $6K range. If I remember correctly the 2010 is $9K or $10K?

I would wait for the X2 850 and maybe EPS. Now that would be worth $9-10K!

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

let me start by saying I was in the same boat as you. My friend bought the canam 400 two seater (carb) and I didn't have the funds to buy one for myself at the time, the local dealer was having a big time sale on them (mid 5's for a brand new xt400). I have come to realize I don't need all the power the bigger quads offer, when I rode his 400 it was all I needed, top speed was mid fiftys and I was able to power slide the darn thing, besides I was never going to haul, tow things that that big. I am using my quad just for recreational riding 99% of the time. When I did start looking this year I looked at all two seater again (used), but canams are hard to come by especially used, I found an artic cat 650v2 for a good price and was going to buy it but sold out from underneath me. I am not sure how the ride compares to the polaris since I have never driven one but I can tell you my x2 rides much better than the canam. I liked the seat on the canam though and the fact it had a small rack on the back verses the artic cat was a bonus over the ac. basically I wanted two seats, so any two seater quad was in my range of buying. Polaris x2's was nearly impossible to find but it was tops on my list. I was about two drive almost 4 hours one way to buy one cause I couldn't find anything close. Then one popped up on craigs list at an unbelievable price right in my back yard. ended up buying an 07 500EFIx2 in the mid 4's with less than 200 miles on it. My thoughts are the polaris 500 does everything I need it to plus you get a better ride. I would have been happy with the canam but the polaris is so nice having everything on the quad and the dump bed is a bonus. Artic cat only has the front rack and thats why it was my least favorite

Quick Reply: Why should I buy a Sportsman X2