Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2009 Sportsman 400 ho with plow

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Sportsman 400 ho with plow

I have a 400 ho 4x4 that i just put a plow and winch on for the winter. I am new to atvs just wandering if there is anything i should or could do since adding the plow to it. I know most have 500s and bigger but i really like the mid size. I thought i read something about the spring being adjusted or something but i'm not sure. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome. as far as power goes, you have plenty to plow with. you may want to crank up the front springa to help w/ the added weight of the plow. also wouldn't hurt top use a charger or battery tender on the bike to help keep the charge in the battery. the winch is used strickly off the battery and the charging systems of the wheeler will be working harder to keep up w/ the demand on polwing. imo

Old 11-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on Sten's post. Also, try to keep the snow from packing in around the cv hubs. Can get rock hard and tear boots. Never had a 400 myself but if it has a high and low range always plow in low. Good luck with your new ride!

Old 11-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by switzomatic
Ditto on Sten's post. Also, try to keep the snow from packing in around the cv hubs. Can get rock hard and tear boots. Never had a 400 myself but if it has a high and low range always plow in low. Good luck with your new ride!
it only has high, but geared low enough so it doesn't ned low.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, I keep mine on a battery tender all winter, and I would crank up the front springs if they are adjustable to help the sag with the plow

also, I would strongly reccomend putting on some hand and thumb warmers, it may sound wussy, but boy are they nice when is who knows how cold

Old 11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys. It does have ajustment in the front but i am not sure how to adjust them. I am sure i can do it but just don't know how to do it. i am thinking of getting a battery tender But the battery is a pain to get to. Do you have to leave the tender on it some how or how are you guys putting them on?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

well with a battery tender, there are leads that you can put directly to the batter (one time install), and they give you about another 1' of wire to reach to a more desireable location, and they you just have to plug it in

Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

if you open the front storage box and where the radaitor cap is, there should be a black wire harness plug wire tied to the bracket. this is already made for a battery tender so you can hook it up right there w/out going to the battery.WARNING: this has a built in fuse so can NOT charge the battery above 2 amps i think beofre it will blow the fuse. the shocks can be adjusted w/ a spanner wrench or a set of channel lock pliers. doesn't hurt to take the weight off of them by jacking the fornt up.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

i did not see a wire harness in front but there are some wires that are coverd with some red caps right behind the radiator cap. On one side it has a tight cap fitted on and the other is a loose fitted cap. I am guessing that they are battery wires maybe the one you are talking about. i need to look at it a little closer when i get time to do the springs.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i wish i still had my picture of mine i took but i deleted it awhile ago. it showed the plug i was refering to. they sell them just for that reason to be used for a battery tender as the battery is very hard to get to. it would have two wires together being one male and female. maybe it was a dealer install on mine.

Quick Reply: 2009 Sportsman 400 ho with plow