Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question for all you Mainers

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Question for all you Mainers

Well, I put the XTRs on the quad and now the rear width is 52" or so on the X2. I am thinking of going up to the Moosehead region next summer to ride the 100s of miles of trails up there. My question is this; are there gates on the Maine ATV trails. If so, how wide are they? Thanks for any responses. I'm thinking I may get my rims changed to a setback that more closely matches the original rears. I don't see any clearance issues with going this route. Both ITP and the people I bought them from say the 4" offset on the inside of the rims are the only offsets they make for Polaris machines with 4x156mm bolt pattern. So, be warned that if you get ITP's Delta Steel wheels that is the only one you'll get. My stockers were more like 6" inside offset.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive ridden up to moosehead a couple times. i havnt encountered any gates, but then again i havnt ridden a lot through the region yet unfortunetly. Just up to the lake and turned back around (Abbot to moosehead 22 miles i think of really nice riding). Mostly rail bed riding. A lot of fun though.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Anybody else got info on Maine having gates and how wide they are?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well since that is my back yard or least close. lol. there are blocks on the rr bed in some places between newport to dover-foxcroft but you can drive thru then w/ a jeep just about. although you can't get to grrenville from there. as popoman mentioned, you can drop off in abbot and go to greenville w/ out any issues at all.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maine riding

MOOSE, I go riding up there alot, i go to a town called Kakadjo,free camping at spencer bay and about 100 plus miles of trails.everything from hard-packed dirt roads too up to your handlebars deep mud holes.On a side note: I see you just got some new xtr sneaker`s ..well I had the same tires until i popped both backs and one front (not at the same time)all are not repairable. there is alot of, i guess what you would call shale rock that is brutal on tires up in that area..if you need any more info p.m. me

Old 11-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by stendori
well since that is my back yard or least close. lol. there are blocks on the rr bed in some places between newport to dover-foxcroft but you can drive thru then w/ a jeep just about. although you can't get to grrenville from there. as popoman mentioned, you can drop off in abbot and go to greenville w/ out any issues at all.
yea there are some real tight blocks at dover on its85, but cant get to moosehead anyway... which sucks.

Hey stendori, got a question. When you get to the covered bridge it says there is an its85 connector to the left but i havnt been able to find it... i went across the covered bridge but the trail ended soon after. any ideas?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

if you cross the bridge and follow it all the way it comes to a road. just b4 the road is a turn into the field to the r/hand. it is strickly a SNOWMOBILE trail that will connect back to the rr bed. i have been thru it w/ atv's a long time ago but you have to go thru the potato fields. as you have seen the trail ends at the cover bridge where there is a no atv sign or trail end sign right across the road. this was the trail to greenville for atv's(still is for snowmobiles) but was closed a few years back when prides desided to close the swamp across the road from them. hence no access to the rr bed in guilford.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Rigginguy, I camped on Spencer Bay when we came back from the Allagash River Waterway. We canoed out on the bay and saw otters and I caught a nice panful of brook trout. I've been by Kokadjo and have seen the ads for places to stay on a trail. I'm considering it. I'd rather go over on the west side of Moosehead. It looks like there is 100s of miles from what I can see. Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I'll be okay at 52" wide. (The quad not me)

Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by stendori
if you cross the bridge and follow it all the way it comes to a road. just b4 the road is a turn into the field to the r/hand. it is strickly a SNOWMOBILE trail that will connect back to the rr bed. i have been thru it w/ atv's a long time ago but you have to go thru the potato fields. as you have seen the trail ends at the cover bridge where there is a no atv sign or trail end sign right across the road. this was the trail to greenville for atv's(still is for snowmobiles) but was closed a few years back when prides desided to close the swamp across the road from them. hence no access to the rr bed in guilford.
ok that makes sense... i saw that field but it said no atvs. The its 85 connector sign at the bridge never said it was only for snowmobiles. thanks!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

any time. someday if moose or you guys come up this way we'll have to meet up somewhere.

Quick Reply: Question for all you Mainers