Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Does this look right to you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this look right to you?

First time ATV owner question: Here are a couple of front views of my new '09 Sportsman 500 EFI X2. The amount of caster (camber?--I forget which) on the front wheels looks a bit excessive to my untrained eyeballs. The machine steers, tracks, and rides just fine at all speeds, and is very stable under all conditions, so I'm inclined to think this is the way it's supposed to look, but maybe owners of similar machines could chime in and tell me that's the way it SHOULD look! Actually, it sort of reminds me of looking at the rear tires of a '63 VW Bug. Thanks in advance...
Jerry

Attached Thumbnails Does this look right to you?-dscn0757.jpg   Does this look right to you?-dscn0756.jpg  
Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I'm not sure about the 09 models but my 02 magnum and my old 2000 sportsman(sold) both have about the same stance as yours. Maybe not as extreme, it's hard to say without having the machines side by side. I always wondered about it too but everything was always tight and the machines drive perfect with even tire wear. So I shrugged it off as polaris design.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Range Rover

My700 was the same way until I put the 2" lift under it now IMO it looks good. no sage at all.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I had the same camber on mine when I bought it. It gives a nice soft ride with plenty of travel but I felt it was a little too soft for my 350 lbs. especially when going downhill. I found it had to much squat so I put the Polaris Heavy Duty Springs on and, for me, it rides better.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the way they sit stock. Front will lift under throttle which explains why it drives fine. Thought the same thing myself when I first started riding popos.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:42 PM
a12
Trailblazer

Picker77
I just got my '09 500 X2 a month ago and it sits the same way as yours. I questioned the dealer and he said that's the way they are, more so with the winch mounted. He recommened getting the HD shocks, especially if you have a plow set up, like I do. I should have had them installed along with the other add on's, when I first picked out the quad. Oh well, I'll probably have them installed when it goes in for it's first service.

How do you like the X2 so far?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, guys.. Those comments make me feel better about it... I really like this X2 so far. My son tried it out this weekend and I just about had to pry him off it. He's used to riding a 50" wheelbase ATV with a manual transmission, and he said this one rides like a Rolls Royce by comparison. When I first brought it home I felt the steering felt a touch mushy with the standard 5 lb in the tires, so I ran them up to 7 lb each and now it feels better to me, although the harder tires do ride a tad stiffer. The X2 seat setup is perfect for the way the wife and I ride (90% just me, 10% both of us). I'm very happy with it so far, I just hope it turns out to be mechanically reliable in the long run. I'm careful with the use and maintenance of all my machinery, and I refuse to own stuff that breaks often in normal use. Considering I'll probably put no more than 100 easy hours a year on this machine, I expect it to last me a long time.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

I'd consider putting spring spring spacers underneath the stock springs, the raise up the front and help eliminate the / \ angles of the tires, but doesn't stiffen the ride like the HD or Ranger springs would do

Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Range Rover

I installed the TM2 Pregressor's and love them (600 miles). It lets you adjust the preload from stock to what you want and you don't loose anything in the ride quality or handling that you would with stiffer springs.

here's the link to there sight just click on suspension and mute the music unless you like it, I don't LOL (tm2)

Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer
Smile

Looks right to me also.

Cheers!