Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Recall on XP (Nov 6th)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by nc porider
just called my dealer and my 09 was built 8-8-08 so no recall he said all bikes built from 1-1-09 to 8-31-09 so your 2010 should be included. but i'm still gonna watch mine

WOW thats backwards, so Polaris had "no issue ball joints" on there earlier models then later on they decided to try a new type of ball joint that did not work out? I guess the old ball joints will be the new replacements? LOL

Goes to say "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

It looks like Polaris is trying to do this under the radar...there is no CPSC recall or Polaris press release as of yet.
Seems like this is a internal recall,an attempt at damage control perhaps?
With the previous fines levied bt ther CPSC Polaris probably needs to tread lightly,but I wouln't think this would be the way to do that.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

If you are right HO, the dealers better be hitting the phones to all the people they sold XP's to. Most people usually don't check ball joints on a new machine.

It was funny when I went to the dealer....The service manager said "Hey I just got a notice from Polaris about the XP's, let me find it quick" I said " I know, it was on the 6th, it's for ball joints that I already told you to check, but my build date isn't on there"

After 5 minutes of shuffling the papers and looking up my VIN, he says "yep, yours isn't in there, but I'll check them anyhow"

LOL

Old 11-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default In need of ball joints

After reading this thread I emailed Polaris to ask if there were any recalls on my 850 XP. Mine was made in May of 09. They got right back to me showing a crank case breather valve replacement and front suspension recalls. Polaris says to bring it in to see which ball joints need to be replaced. My dealer said he would just order all the ball joints, call me when they were in and replace all of them so I wouldn't have to come back if any of the others acted up later. After I got the recall I went out to the shop, jacked up the quad and found 2 of them just slightly loose at 100 miles.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Range Rover
Maybe you could have your wife talk to my wife?

I visited a dealer yesterday to get my crankcase breather valve replaced under the first safety bulletin. The guy there handed me the paperwork for the "Ball Joint" bulletin to read. All they are are doing is replacing the 4 bolts that hold the steering knuckles together with hardened bolts. Then they check for any play in the ball joint area. IF there is any felt, then they replace the steering knuckles. I suspect for most of us, we'll get four shiny new bolts and that'll be it.
Cheers,
cc

Old 11-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

In my experience dealers are the last to know about recalls. Should be the other way around, but it usually is not.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Range Rover
Maybe you could have your wife talk to my wife?

My experience to date says I'm the last one to know about recalls/safety bulletins. I still haven't heard word one from Polaris that my machine needed the safety bulletin regarding the PCV. I asked them why they didn't contact me and they never responded. Actually, I've asked them 3 times with nothing. At this point, I rely on this forum to stay abreast of any bulletins/recalls.
Cheers,
cc

Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 AM
a12
Trailblazer

Dan Hall

What email address did you use to communicate with Polaris, that they actually responded back to you?

Thanks

Old 11-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

Contacted my dealer this morning, I have a build date of 9/11/09 (I will never forget that) ... No safety bulletins for my machine..

Old 11-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder if any owners are contacting the CPSC....they should be IMO.
I think they just picked some dates and from what I can tell thier solutions to the problems are bandaids at best.

Amazing there is no official recall...did Polaris not learn their lesson?

We remember this right?
Polaris to Pay $950,000 Penalty for Failing to Report Hazards with ATVs

I have been a Polaris fan a long time but covering up this issue is ridiculous IMO.

Quick Reply: New Recall on XP (Nov 6th)