Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

PTO capability?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTO capability?

I was asked by a friend at work IF there are any ATV's (ours to boot) that have the PTO capabilities built in like tractors and other farming equipment whereby power could be transferred to an accessory or equipment from the motor?

I thought it was a pretty good question so I throw it out to you all! From what I see most of ATV accessories are powered electronically or by the winch etc. right?

Thanks,

R'

Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

Yamaha maid one awhile ago i think thay called it a taripro

Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

well, I guess if you really wanted to, I suppose you could use the axles, and fab up something like that, but that would be a very weak set up, and it would put alot of stress on the machines drivetrain, and the axles

Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

With big bore ATVs putting out so much power these days it would be nice to see some sort of PTO. You could use it to power a hydraulic pump for a winch, a power pivot system or lift for a plow-all sorts of possibilities with hydraulics. There is probably enough excess power to run a mower or something too.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:12 AM
Pro Rider

Yamaha made one for one year only (1988) but discontinued it for legal issues. They also had a assortment of attachments to use with it. There was a finish cut mower, and a rough cut mower made by Woods... spreader, sprayer, post hole digger, and a hydraulically powered blade. Probably a few others as well. Overall, a very cool machine. I have one for sale BTW. Here's a link for the specs:

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA - 1988 Terra-Pro Home

Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Man, that is so cool! It was interesting to the other EPIC models. So here is the BIG question. How come no one else followed suit? Was the PTO ATV design overkill? Too expensive? Faulty? Seems like a good design though!

Thx,

R'

Old 11-17-2009, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Rubidude
Yamaha made one for one year only (1988) but discontinued it for legal issues.
What legal issues did they run into?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

It really is a cool machine. More like a tractor you ride like an ATV. You can even disengage the rear axle to make it one wheel drive (turf mode). As for the legal issues... I heard that a guy bought one along with one of the mowers... was using it on too steep of a hill and rolled it. I guess the mower came around and hacked him up pretty good. Either he, or his widow, sued Yamaha for not stressing the safety issue or something to that effect. They got a buttload of money, and Yamaha scrapped the whole project. Truly a case where one idiot ruins a really great idea.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea maybe, or just a bad mistake that had an unfortunate accident? I like to think that my last two fubars were mistakes but nothing that I would sue any mfg for! Yea I don't think I would use a pull behind mower on any sidehilling or steep hill situation. ATV's are hard enough to handle in those situations let alone anything else pulling you off center etc.

Well I guess that puts things in perspective but even a normal Non-PTO attachment could do the same thing right in the exact situation? So that would be more of a mower/operator error conditional situation. - IMO

Regards,

R'

Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Yea maybe, or just a bad mistake that had an unfortunate accident? I like to think that my last two fubars were mistakes but nothing that I would sue any mfg for!
R'
You likely wouldn't have the option of suing or not. The insurance company paying the medical bills would be requiring the suit to recover their costs. If you refuse to cooperate, they refuse to pay. So, there is little choice in the matter.