Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris spring spacers Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris spring spacers Sportsman

I purcahsed 4 spring spacers for my Polaris Sportsman 700 had has a somewhat sagging suspension. Unlike the units I read about on this site, the instrauctions say just use hot soapy water and soak spacers, jack up machine suspension is fully extended and slip in between springs.

Do these units have a tendancy to fall out? Where do I install them in the front, toward the top or bottom or middle of the spring?

Any experience would be helpfull

Old 12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

the spring and the strut.....you will have to remove the front springs to install the spacers on the strut. look at the thread at the top of the page and look at pics

Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

If they are the spacers that I am thinking they are, the rubber ones. I didn't have to do anything to them to install them other than jacking the machine up to take the weight off of the springs. I have mine installed on the bottom, but didn't notice much difference.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by redbank
the spring and the strut.....you will have to remove the front springs to install the spacers on the strut. look at the thread at the top of the page and look at pics
I think he has the ones that are installed between the coils..Not sure.....If so, sorry to say I haven't heard great reviews on these.......You'd probably be better off going with a new set of HD springs....Polaris makes them, I have the EPI's, which are great, and also Highlifter makes them......Just an idea for you.......

John

Old 12-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by sammydogs64
I purcahsed 4 spring spacers for my Polaris Sportsman 700 had has a somewhat sagging suspension. Unlike the units I read about on this site, the instrauctions say just use hot soapy water and soak spacers, jack up machine suspension is fully extended and slip in between springs.

Do these units have a tendancy to fall out? Where do I install them in the front, toward the top or bottom or middle of the spring?

Any experience would be helpfull
I personally installed them in the middle, reason...that's where the spring is "weakest" and compresses most. Like mentioned...jack it up, soap them up and intall. I found it easiest to start with one end of the spacer, get it started and kind of feed/push it on...if that makes any sense? They go on pretty easy!

Mine haven't budged in 4 years, they're in place. I found them to work as intended, they stiffened the suspension which is what I was after, not as much roll in the corners, not as much sag with the plow attached or front loaded with ice fishing equipment. I think they made the ride better and have no negative comment about them. They also raised the machine about 3/4" which is helpful. I'd install them again.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

The front HD springs are stiff and helps with the sag for sure. For the price you can't beat it and its NOT hard at all to install. In fact a FUN project to do! Yes please do reference the sticky note above. Stendori has helped alot of us as well as other people with thier insights and pics. In fact, I thought I would jump on the bandwagon too and took pic after pic of my spring installation. It was a success, lol! Reference my pics gallery on web shots.

All that said, the HD springs gave me the a 2" front top lift. (No spacers or lift kit added just the HD springs itself) Its a technical increase in height not a true lift, could be argued that the OEM sagged for that 2" amount since its no longer in spring length compared to stock, lol.

The only thing I would caution is if your front is raised and not your rear setup to compensate. My center of gravity was not on and I paid a price combined with other factors of with a hill roll. After that I had to raise my rear OEM shocks all the way to increase help compensate. However, I feel I still need to add stiffer springs or better shocks with my rear setup, just not willing to pay $$$ yet.

Cool thread!

R'

Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

I'd like to stiffen or "raise" the front of mine, but if you have to stiffen the rear also I'm not sure it's something I want to do...I stiffened my rear springs and HATED it;the machine became "tippy' in uneven terrain (deep wash outs)...On the stiffer setting one rear tire wants to lift much sooner than on a softer setting...
My wife and I where doing some pretty good hill climbs with some fairly good "washes" and I had a hard time keeping it sunny side up with more preload...She could go through the same spot and all four tires would stay planted on the ground (her bike is on the softest setting). So needless to say I turned my preload back down and I've had no more problems...

Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

I installed them last night. They are just black hard rubber things that fit in between the coils on the spring. I lifted the machine up with my ATV jack so the whole thing was raised off the floor and the spacers just slipped in. I laso jacked up the adjustment on the back shocks up all the way. Standing still it seems a little stiffer. I can't wait to see the difference in cornering. So far it seems like the best $15.99 I have spent on the machine.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I never knew they made spring spacer that could be installed without taking anything apart,where do they sell them?
I installed HD springs on the back but it would not hurt to firm the front up abit as well.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I tried those spacers & was not impressed at all.
I now have Ranger springs up front & EPI's in the rear with a 1.5" Rubberdown Customs lift.

A small lift kit or HD springs are the only way to go.

Quick Reply: Polaris spring spacers Sportsman