Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris 2up touring sportsman 550cc or 800cc?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:38 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

POLARIS - The way in & the way out. Great machines !

Attached Thumbnails polaris 2up touring sportsman 550cc or 800cc?-p9270053.jpg  
Old 12-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

I'm on my second Polaris, and while they both had recalls (05 SP500HO ECM, 09 SP850XP PCV) I have never had a breakdown, never been towed out, and both machines have been ridden hard thru everything but sand, because there's not much sand in upstate NY. Any of the two-up machines are quality rides, though.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by cobuff
Wow, thanks for the warm invite and all your responses. I must say this will be my first bike and therefore I truly appreciate your wisdom and insight in this major decision. It sounds collectively that if I were to go with a 2up bike then the 2010 Polaris Sportsman touring 850 would be the best choice over the 550 in terms of power especially at high altitude which is definitely where I would be riding. The cost of this bike per Polaris website is 11,000. Some of you mentioned a side by side as a better option or even just getting two bikes . I thought of getting two bikes but then I also saw how expensive a purchase that can be as well as the maintenance/insurance for both. The only side by side I am aware of that is trail legal (50" wide) is the RZR. This bike also goes for 11,000. Though I originally heavily favored the RZR I have read it seems in numerous posts that it is not very reliable. Is polaris reliable? This is where the confusion starts for me! Help?
Polaris machines are as reliable as any of them,except may a Honda, Honda's middle name is reliabilty mainly because they under power everything,not just ATVs, compared to the everyone else..... but none of them are failsafe. Although I have no experience with the RZR..
Something to think about in regard to the RZR is it's very long wheelbase when compared to even a 2up ATV...how tight are the trails you will be riding? Width is important...but so is length with regards to making turns on the trail. How abrupt/steep are the hill crests? Do you know that a RZR in stock form can make it where you need to go?
I know this is the Polaris forum but I have to plug the Can-Am Outlander Max's if you are considering a 2up you should at least look at them,especially the 2010 XTs(they have Powersteering and a much imprroved AWD system). I won't get into all the pros of the Max over the XP Touring here as it will just start a bunch of bickering. But at least do some reasearch on them,better yet go ride everything you are considering before you make a final call.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info on the Can-Am outlander HighOctane. I will check them out. I guess I have some bikes to test drive in the near future. Gotta save up some more $$$ first! Still do appreciate any more info you ladies and gents have on RZR, Polaris Touring 2up 850, or other comparable bike with the ability to seat two, tow an atv wagon (trailer) behind, and the power to perform at high altitude ascending and descending mountain passes.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I thought I wanted a RZR and an Outlander at one time or another.......I have friends who have an Outlander Max who loved it, and now have a RZR.........Just make sure you go take a good look at them and drive them if you can.

I haven't seen where anyone has a Polaris XP touring yet, so it's hard to say what to expect.

I didn't know you had a limit of 50" wide. You don't have as much for options then.

Also, remember what everyone said about fuel consumption.....The 800 Polaris drinks fuel compared to the rest, and the Outty fuel tank is rather small, not sure about the XP Touring. The 850, 800 Outty, and the 550 get real close to the same for fuel consumption. I'm not sure about the side by sides, but at least their tank is bigger.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer

Also, remember what everyone said about fuel consumption.....The 800 Polaris drinks fuel compared to the rest, and the Outty fuel tank is rather small, not sure about the XP Touring. The 850, 800 Outty, and the 550 get real close to the same for fuel consumption. I'm not sure about the side by sides, but at least their tank is bigger.
The XP Touring is 4.5 Gal,just like all the EPS XPs,the 800 Max is 4.3 Gal...with the Can-Am getting a little better mileage than the 850 in my experience,more than enough to make up for the .2 gallons.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Just to confirm what others have said, I would recommend the XP 850 Touring model. I was up at the dealer getting some oil the other day and looked at that model. The back seat has a spring suspension on it now to add to the already comfortable back seat. I remember driving through Wolf Pass in the Rockies with my truck a few years back. It made my 8 cylinder feel like a 6 cylinder. I would highly recommend the larger engine for the higher elevations as others have. Out here in New England the highest we go is to the top of Mt. Washington in NH. Not an issue so much at 6,000 ft.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

I have to say, I really don't care for the rear suspension on the Sportsmans for heavy towing. It is really soft, and the tires spread when weight is put on the rear. Something to consider if pulling a trailer. I'm not sure how the others fair with pulling a load. This is where a good side by side comes in.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by Roofer
I have to say, I really don't care for the rear suspension on the Sportsmans for heavy towing. It is really soft, and the tires spread when weight is put on the rear. Something to consider if pulling a trailer. I'm not sure how the others fair with pulling a load. This is where a good side by side comes in.
That goes for all IRS ATVs or side by side,they all carry the trailer's tonque weight on there rear suspension unlike a SRA.

Two ways to help though is have a well balanced trailer that carries the load weight on its axles and keeps the tongue in reason.
The other is get HD springs and click them to a stiff setting while towing and once done towing click them back to a softer ride setting once more, its what I do but its a hassle to click the preloads up and down but I do not tow that much.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
That goes for all IRS ATVs or side by side,they all carry the trailer's tonque weight on there rear suspension unlike a SRA.
I would think the side by sides would be stiffer. My brute carried the load a little better than my sportsmans, along with the SRA machines I have had, but the ride was not near as good. The TTI suspension in the CanAm doesn't squat outward like the others either, but I've never towed with one. It may squat downward just as much, I don't know.

IMO though, pulling a trailer on a ride or riding 2 up isn't alot of fun. I'm sure the Touring models help alot, but it's still not like riding on your own machine. By the time you add decent tires and wheels to any of them, you are just as wide as a RZR. It really depends on what you are comfortable with and enjoy riding.

I'm pretty sure the 850 XPT, the Outty Max, and the RZR are very comparable in price. They should have added EPS to the RZR too.

Quick Reply: polaris 2up touring sportsman 550cc or 800cc?