Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris 2up touring sportsman 550cc or 800cc?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris 2up touring sportsman 550cc or 800cc?

I am looking to buy a 2up atv that can tow an atv wagon carrying camping/fishing gear, dog and girlfriend. Terrain I would be riding in are the rocky mountains of colorado. Lots of rocks, steeps, descents, and water crossings. My question is, what size engine would be sufficient: 550cc or 800cc. Your input would much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

either bike would do the job. under a load you would be using low range anyways and the 500 in low would pull a house. the 800 does have more power for sure and gets alot worse fuel milage for it as well. but basicly the only differnce inthe 2 bikes is the engine size. efi in the mts. would be a big plus i would think as well.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

There are alot of differences in those 2 machines besides engine size and power. I think Sten is thinking of the 500 not the 550. If cost isn't an issue honestly neither one would be my pick for that type of riding. I know your question was targeted at power...but since the machines are so different that isn't a straighforward question as to which would be best IMO...
If you are choosing between a 2010 550XP Touring and a 2009 800 Touring...for that kind of use,ie 2 up and towing gear up steep hills at altitude,powerwise I'd say the 800,but that would be the only reason. The XP has a better suspension, Power steering,gives off less heat to the rider ect ect...just an all around better machine really. The 800 is a workhorse,but in the Touring model the workhorse use of the 800 is minimized anyway. Powerwise the 550 would likely get the job done,but I believe in better to have power and not need it than to need and not have. The 550 will move a house,like Sten said,but it will work harder than say and 800 or 850 in doing so....with the CVT set up even a machine with less power than the 550 can haul impressive loads...the CVT just will keep the engine at a lower gear ratio and the engine will rev higher than a bigger engine would. Not alot of weight difference between the 2,I think the 550 is about 30#s lighter,still pretty heavy,772# dry.
So basically the 550 would work,but I don't think that I would be real confident using it for what you are talking about on a regualr basis...I like to have a power margin and not regularly be pushing my machines at 100%..JMO
But for the type of riding you are talking about the power steering is a dream that you won't want to be without once you try it. So the 800 has the power and the 550 will be alot more fun/less work to ride... so if it were me looking and I had to buy a Polaris,if cost wasn't a huge factor, I'd pick the 850 XP EPS Touring(since there isn't and 850X2 EPS available) Best of both worls..plenty of power and better suspension,power steering,no heat issues ect..

Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

First time rider I would go with the 550. If you go with the boys and need more H/P for them colorado hills then spend a little more.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer

Both will do the job. I would favor the 550 for the newer features of the XP line. The 800 is an older design. I have a 2010 550X2 and can't imagine having any issues hauling what you described....although to be honest, I have not had it on any serious outings yet as it's only a couple weeks old. The 550 has better fuel economy, better handling, and plenty of power.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

IMO, if you really want to ride with two people, get two atv's or a sidebyside. More comfort and you probably won't need that trailer. Also around the same price, depending on what you choose.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Roofer
IMO, if you really want to ride with two people, get two atv's or a sidebyside. More comfort and you probably won't need that trailer. Also around the same price, depending on what you choose.

Welcome to the forum.
I don't know about 2 atvs being more comfortable,I would agree if we were talking riding 2up on a 1 up ATV......I've rode on the back of the Max and it is more comfortable back there than it is up front on any ATV and with a passenger on the back it is no less comfortable for the operator. Night and day difference riding 2up on a good 2up machine compared to riding 2up on a 1up machine even with a good seat box..no comparison.
But if the person you will be hauling is capable of riding their own machine..2 is always better than one...that way you have a tow vehicle
SXS...maybe more comfortable than a 2up ATV...depending on which one you get...but SXS alot of times don't fit everyones needs in other areas...but for hauling 2 people and alot of gear I agree,as long as the SXS can get where you need to go it would be the ticket.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Go for the 800 touring, did a trip up by Tigers Pass/Leadville from Fairplay on my '07 Polaris 800 X2, well worth the extra HP when your up over 10K ft on elevation, major power drop off. Guys on the 500's were struggling

Old 12-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, thanks for the warm invite and all your responses. I must say this will be my first bike and therefore I truly appreciate your wisdom and insight in this major decision. It sounds collectively that if I were to go with a 2up bike then the 2010 Polaris Sportsman touring 850 would be the best choice over the 550 in terms of power especially at high altitude which is definitely where I would be riding. The cost of this bike per Polaris website is 11,000. Some of you mentioned a side by side as a better option or even just getting two bikes . I thought of getting two bikes but then I also saw how expensive a purchase that can be as well as the maintenance/insurance for both. The only side by side I am aware of that is trail legal (50" wide) is the RZR. This bike also goes for 11,000. Though I originally heavily favored the RZR I have read it seems in numerous posts that it is not very reliable. Is polaris reliable? This is where the confusion starts for me! Help?

Quick Reply: polaris 2up touring sportsman 550cc or 800cc?