Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Polaris 700 Sporstman: Someone help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Polaris 700 Sporstman: Someone help

Its a 700 Fuel Injected. The motor seems to make oil not really sure what is causing it to do this but i have narrowed it down to the injectors.Its been to the dealer twice and they assured us this last time it was fixed but its not. We've had it too two different dealers and none can seem to get it fixed. Within 2 days after we got it back we checked the oil and it was about a quart high. We checked it after it had been sitting and also after it had ran for a bit and than set for about 10 minutes and it always reads high. The first dealer we took it to said it was a bad wiring harness so they traced one down that had a burn mark from the exhaust and replaced it. Did help with some of the harsh idle but still no where near what it needed to be at. The second dealer we took it to had it for over a month and could find nothing wrong, was slightly off on compression they suggested we let them re ring it and when the got into it also suggested that maybe something was wrong with the head, so they replaced that.. Needless to say its not going back to the dealer this time because seems theyre not doing anything to help it. My question to you guys/gals is have any of you all had similar problems with yours know of anything that it could be, any suggestions at all? Its also had the ball joints replaced tie rods and now needs the front u joint going from the motor to the front gear case replaced. Let me know any suggestions you have or any similar problemsl.. Thanks Ryan

Old 12-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Never heard of such a thing or had anything like it happen to me.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

Beats me too Polaris place said they have never had one to have injectors mess up either. But the last time it did it the thing started blowing black smoke out the exhaust and eventually quit running when we got it to the dealer they drained 4qts of oil/fuel out of the case and it even had some oil that had blown into the air filter.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

Have you drained the oil to see what is adding to it? I am no expert but something has to be leaking into the crank. I would say either gas or water/antifreeze.. Possibly a bad head gasket. If the oil looks milky you have a water leak. If it gas you should be able to smell it. It;'s somewhere to start. Good luck. Home this helps you out...

Old 12-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

Deffinetly is gas. Fourwheeler has about 45 miles on it since polaris did rings and head I would assume they would have used a new headgasket. There's only one way to much fuel can enter into the motor and that's from the injectors someone correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks Ryan

Old 12-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

I would have to agree with you. It has to be a bad/leaky injector. I would check with a mechanic to confirm. I just don't see any other way for gas to get in the crank.. Most likely an internal leak. How many injectors are there? I am not familiar with the EFI's.

I am thinking that the injector is leaking while the quad is sitting. Now last time it sounds like it was doing it while it was running and basically flooding the motor.

You need to find a good mechanic other then the dealer mechanic to check this for you. This could get very expensive.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:25 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

If there was an engine rebuild, the end gaps on the ring may be lined up. Take it to a dealer that will do a "Leak Down" test to confirm.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like the fuel is pouring right into the base/psiton, hence the black rich smoke and then dieing from too much gas. it's like having a float stuck wide open(yes there is no float on an efi). i wonder if the return line isn't letting gas go back to the fuel tank? the ecu controls the amount of gas is needed for the bike to run and if there is a bad sensor some where, sometimes the bike will go into a safe mode(to prevent a brun down)which pumps extra gas to make a very rich condtion. this should have set off a engine waring light onthe speedo though. imo.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer

No engine warning lights at all. Both dealers supposedly checked the injectors but i am begining to wonder how much truth there is to it. Its not going back to any dealers around here the next closeest one is 45 mins away, i was thinking of pulling the injectors myself and taking them to have them pressure tested we have a place here local that does this stuff with diesel engines mainly tractor stuff. Im sure they have some way of testing them or sending them off to have them tested. I have messed with several mustangs before so i know some stuff about this stuff and to me on a fuel injected engine there is only one maybe 2 ways fuel can get into the motor (bad injector, and possibly the return which to me would look like the fuel would just leak somewhere on the outside of the engine instead of draining back into it. Its always had a really harsh idle since about 2 months after we bought it and the RPMs always seem to fluctuate it idles about 1500 rpms.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's idling too high for sure as it should be around 1150 rpms. if you pull the spark plug out i'm betting it's going to be extremly wet from way too much gas. is there any way to check the return line from the injector are back to the tank and see if it's crimped or something to make sure it has a clear path to return the unused gas back to the tank. it's just an idea. it would be intesting to see how much fuel pressure there is as well to see if it's pushing gas into the cylinder.

Quick Reply: 2006 Polaris 700 Sporstman: Someone help